U2 Has usherd in a new dark age.

No. The placeholder to download it is there. It doesn't actually automatically download the entire thing unless you click on the little cloud icon. If you don't download it I don't believe you can continue to get it free after the 13th.
I think it still shows up under Purchased even if you don't download it.

If that's the case then some people with limited hard drive space (I know people who drive close to the edge) might find themselves out of space altogether.

I know recently I bought music online from Scott Jones (fusion guitarist from St. Louis) and also the Physics House Band (crazy UK instrumental band) so I'm still buying music. CDs less so because it's getting harder to FIND the artists I like on CD though I did get Mattias Eklundh's latest, the latest from Steven Wilson and I found another CD that I can't quite recall I'd been searching for for a long, long time.

I don't know. People will always do what they want for love but I think we'll all be poorer for the lack of exposure to new music.

I don't think new music creation is slowing down, if that's what you meant. If anything it's increasing.

Most likely you won't have any more U2's either though. It's ll be a world of Ariana Grande and Katy Perry. Which I guess won't matter to the next generation anyway.

My kids started watching that damn show with the Ariana chick on it. She has to be the most annoying person ever.

I actually saw the songs in my iTunes last night. I had to scratch my head for a moment when I realized that this was the freebee from them. Did I listen? No. Am I interested? Not really - maybe at a later date.

Most likely you won't have any more U2's either though. It's ll be a world of Ariana Grande and Katy Perry. Which I guess won't matter to the next generation anyway.

These folks will still make a ton of money because that's what the kids buy nowadays but probably not by selling records. Thanks to the interwebz as you pointed out with your album there are just too many ways to get things for free and that will cost sales. Some people will pay but I think more and more they are less likely to. I have no idea if it will kill music/musicians in general. You could argue that there is more exposure to new music now than ever before because of the interwebz..but doesn't mean it's going to be a way to get rich...and that was always a crapshoot anyways.

I'm in the camp of U2 was just following the trend :shrug:. Only highly recognizable names can do that anyways

I see a future of product placement. Maybe Coca Cola will pay an artist for mentions in a song, or for visuals in a music video. Do they even do those anymore? :lol:

So far I don't think the albums that bad (only listened to three full songs so far). What I'm finding is that I like parts, but not the full songs. It's reminding a bit of 80s English new wave (Adam and the Ants) meets modern rock crap...the latter is nothing I want to listen to.

Well, look at it this way. I wouldn't have known that U2 had a new album out had they just released it the conventional ways. They are getting tons of exposure from this.

At least Daft Punk, (speaking of acts which are popular with kids) employed a pretty good guitar player on their big hit.

I don't know. People will always do what they want for love but I think we'll all be poorer for the lack of exposure to new music.
That is the part I don't like. Bands I have interest in will not get much exposure. So I will have to search harder. Which is not easy to do from the middle of Idaho, at least any live exposure. College radio maybe as has already been said.

And I do get that musicians will adapt. But that does not mean I am not allowed to comment on whether I like the change occurring, or whether for my desires I think it is for the better. As Adam Smith predicted, I will follow what is right for me and vote with my dollars. But the new developments may make that a bit harder for me to do.

It may be free but I hear that they're still overcharging for it.

:eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tig
Well, look at it this way. I wouldn't have known that U2 had a new album out had they just released it the conventional ways. They are getting tons of exposure from this.
This is the first I've heard of anything about U2......Then again,never was a fan.......

Maybe Apple gave U2 10 million bucks, maybe they didn't. If they did, it was a good hedge against sales that are quickly dwindling to zero. If they didn't, it's a write off on the tour promotion budget.

According to Billboard, citing multiple sources, it was 100 million.

...never mind.

Back