U2 Has usherd in a new dark age.

I assume they think people will listen to it and think its amazingly badand then start to buy the bands back catalogue, hoping it can't be ALL this bad.

FIFY.

I've listened through a couple of times while working. Nothing has made me stop and listen. I will give it more time though because there is not a lot of music that does catch my interest right away.

The link in Mark's post explains it pretty well and clearly from the U2's perspective. Bono makes it perfectly clear that they got paid and that it is important that artists get compensation for their work. Apple bought the album from U2 as a gift to iTunes customers. Not a corporate sponsorship as much as a deal after the fact (that being the band writing and recording a batch of tunes).

The thing that Amazes me is the absolute backlash over this.

Maybe I'm biased, because I like the new album. If Apple had shoved a Beyonce album on there, I would have just hid it from iTunes and gone on with my life.

The link in Mark's post explains it pretty well and clearly from the U2's perspective. Bono makes it perfectly clear that they got paid and that it is important that artists get compensation for their work. Apple bought the album from U2 as a gift to iTunes customers. Not a corporate sponsorship as much as a deal after the fact (that being the band writing and recording a batch of tunes).
It further devalues everyone else's work in the eyes of the consumer though. Not that it matters because you can find anything and everything for free on the internet already anyway. My album, not on a label, with no marketing by a no-name artist was distributed for free on bootleg sites like this before I even had a copy of it in my own hands: http://music-am.ru/62513-mark-wein-black-market-hearts-2014.html

On top of which you get royalty payments like this from the streaming services:

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 7.15.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 7.16.16 AM.png

Music isn't worth anything anymore, so why bother trying to have a career? U2 has already built their audience, made thier money and bought their private islands so it's no big deal to them.

Music isn't worth anything anymore, so why bother trying to have a career?

I think you can still have a career, but I think long gone are the days of the rock stars who have more money than they can spend. You also can't count on a fat major label deal anymore. Now you have to be ready to get in the van and tour, tour, tour to build up a base.

I think you can still have a career, but I think long gone are the days of the rock stars who have more money than they can spend. You also can't count on a fat major label deal anymore. Now you have to be ready to get in the van and tour, tour, tour to build up a base.
You'll end up living in that van your whole life though. The idea that you put in your dues now and hopefully be able to step up the food chain I think is not going to happen for most folks. Lots of artists are going to die on the vine.

It further devalues everyone else's work in the eyes of the consumer though. Not that it matters because you can find anything and everything for free on the internet already anyway. My album, not on a label, with no marketing by a no-name artist was distributed for free on bootleg sites like this before I even had a copy of it in my own hands: http://music-am.ru/62513-mark-wein-black-market-hearts-2014.html

On top of which you get royalty payments like this from the streaming services:

View attachment 15819

View attachment 15820

Music isn't worth anything anymore, so why bother trying to have a career? U2 has already built their audience, made thier money and bought their private islands so it's no big deal to them.

Yeah, overall it's super depressing.

In the Artifact documentary about 30 Seconds to Mars and their struggle the lead singer from Linkin Park (sp?) was on there a few times and he pointed out how you work for years to write music and people can buy your song for less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks. It really hit me how fucked up the business is.

I used to get annoyed that a CD was $10 bucks and new hardcover books were $25 (or even $15 with the 40% Amazon used to give instantly). Why was literature considered to be more valuable than music. At best they're equals, but for me music is much more important. I also still get annoyed that the $11.88 new CDs I occasionally buy from Amazon don't actually help the artists. For those that have lossless versions of their albums to download, I'll get them right from the artist (hoping it's more money and directly into their pocket).

But the impact of this on established acts will be minimal. Also in the Artifact doc, Irving Azoff mentions how pretty much anyone under 21 thinks anyone that actually buys music is a chump. The whole if it's digital, particularly on the internet, then it's free! stupidity.

You'll end up living in that van your whole life though. The idea that you put in your dues now and hopefully be able to step up the food chain I think is not going to happen for most folks. Lots of artists are going to die on the vine.

But hasn't that always happened? For every U2 there are a million bands nobody's heard of.

I also still get annoyed that the $11.88 new CDs I occasionally buy from Amazon don't actually help the artists. For those that have lossless versions of their albums to download, I'll get them right from the artist (hoping it's more money and directly into their pocket).

Sometimes I think about stuff like that, but a lot of times I don't. I'm paying for a product. If the new version is priced too high for my liking, I might try to find a used version. But if the artist is in a crap contract with their label, and they want to sell CDs for pennies, that is not my problem. That being said, any time I can buy direct I will. But a lot of these guys can't do that, because of their crap contracts.

Remember though, this recording will only be free through the 13th.

A lot will get this but a lot of people get distracted by life and realize "Oh, I should have downloaded that".
I think the 13th is the last day it will be free then they will charge for it like every other artist.

Yes, it looks kind of grim.
But, first of all, Apple paid U2 to be there at their corporate event so that was one payday there. Hiring U2 is not like hiring a wedding band in terms of cost I'd bet.

Then, the other payday is that they will get a payout from Apple to make up for the lost revenue based on how many downloads actually will be happening.
Or so I'm told.

The third payday is the soundscan charts and the regular music charts - this will be the #1 album based on sales and people will just try and get it based on the fact that it's the #1 album in the country right now.

If I tried to do this, I'd just be out a lot of money.

Mark, is there a bright side to this? Maybe in the idea that if artists can't expect to make the rock star living that they'll at least just write and hopefully record and perform the music they love...no compromises?

Mark, is there a bright side to this? Maybe in the idea that if artists can't expect to make the rock star living that they'll at least just write and hopefully record and perform the music they love...no compromises?

In some ways, getting the music you make out in the world has never been easier. You don't need a music label to get a distribution deal through iTunes. Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube are much better at getting your band visibility than the days of bills on posts.

The problem is, clubs are getting away from live music because Trivia Night brings in more customers. People either get their music through streaming or just pirate it.

Making a living as a musician has always been a tough game. Y0u have a better chance at getting into the MLB than you do of making a great income from your music.

But hasn't that always happened? For every U2 there are a million bands nobody's heard of.
Most likely you won't have any more U2's either though. It's ll be a world of Ariana Grande and Katy Perry. Which I guess won't matter to the next generation anyway.

It's automatically added to every iTunes account. No opt-in/out.

No. The placeholder to download it is there. It doesn't actually automatically download the entire thing unless you click on the little cloud icon. If you don't download it I don't believe you can continue to get it free after the 13th.

Still, the damage is done.

I know Mark gets pennies a month from streaming. Me too. We could pool our money and share half a candy bar each!

I don't know. People will always do what they want for love but I think we'll all be poorer for the lack of exposure to new music.

Back