Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out.

paullinda-630x445.jpg

I'm a firm advocate for musical analysis and for breaking it down to the nuts and bolts.

But genre denialism is, at best, the kind of naive oversimplification that just makes people sound like a tools.

When it comes to pop, especially guitar-based pop, there's very little musically separating bands from vastly different genres. I mean, Def Leppard and Nirvana are very, very similar in terms of musical features and even arrangement and recording styles, but everyone everywhere recognizes that these bands inhabit significantly different sub-genres.

Because genre deals with qualitative information and matters of sensibility and audience. Musicologically, no significant difference, but huge differences socio-culturally.

Perhaps a more interesting question would be why internet guitarists are so allergic to cultural information and improving their knowledge set so that they can discuss things precisely without being weird and defensive.

#helper

When it comes to pop, especially guitar-based pop, there's very little musically separating bands from vastly different genres. I mean, Def Leppard and Nirvana are very, very similar in terms of musical features and even arrangement and recording styles, but everyone everywhere recognizes that these bands inhabit significantly different sub-genres.

Because genre deals with qualitative information and matters of sensibility and audience. Musicologically, no significant difference, but huge differences socio-culturally.

Perhaps a more interesting question would be why internet guitarists are so allergic to cultural information and improving their knowledge set so that they can discuss things precisely without being weird and defensive.

#helper

I have this theory, as of yet unrecognized by the DSM, that some forms of prog and/or metal fandom may constitute a fifth disorder on the autism spectrum. If and when this theory gains traction and acceptance, then perhaps we'll be able to find some answers to your questions.

#helper

Call me crazy, but I listen to Music to listen to the music. I’m not into the socio-culturality of it. If you are, good on you, have at it. I’ll continue to listen to what I like and you can worry about the ramifications of wearing flannel to a Def Leppard concert.

I'm a firm advocate for musical analysis and for breaking it down to the nuts and bolts.

But genre denialism is, at best, the kind of naive oversimplification that just makes people sound like a tools.

Genre's just a short cut or shorthand for music journalists and people wanting to quickly refer to a group of bands or artists they feel are related. Unfortunately many of the people lumped into genres will deny being a part of them. King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator were two of the most interesting bands classified as progressive rock, but both leaders of each band deny any solidarity with the genre or similarity with the other bands (Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant). Some genres were unified, like Hard Bop jazz of the 50s and 60s. Mostly because it was an anti-movement against cool or otherwise "white" washed jazz during the same period. If journalists created the term it's generally less consistent than if the artists band together and come up with a new movement. And of course the best example is Dylan who was lumped in to the folk movement, partially because of his own stylings and participation with that group of musicians. But at the '65 Newport Folk Festival Pete Seeger was ready to take off his head for being a traitor and wielding an electric instrument (Pete who routinely worshipped roots blues artists, many of whom performed on electric guitars). Dylan was an artist first and foremost and somewhat opportunistic in how he rose to fame in the first place (who wouldn't be? - it's a business, then with success you can be an artist).

So yes and no, the use of genres is also a form of denialism I believe (denial of the vast diversity encompassed by the simple label), but acting like they don't exist and can't somewhat accurately refer a person to the group of artists you're talking about is just plain silly.

The funniest genre inclusion ever was Devo being lumped in with punk or the new wave movement. They were dressing like that and acting like robots in Ohio long before punk ever came out, getting booed off stages opening for Zep cover bands. Suddenly a genre appears where they no longer look weird.

Last edited:
Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention Freak Out was a parody album you all realize? He didn't take drugs and was aping some of the stupidity of 60s bands on drugs with that album.

If you showed up high to Frank Zappa or Ravi Shankar concert, you were grossly out of touch with artist you were listening to. (and I did!)

Call me crazy, but I listen to Music to listen to the music. I’m not into the socio-culturality of it. If you are, good on you, have at it. I’ll continue to listen to what I like and you can worry about the ramifications of wearing flannel to a Def Leppard concert.

I don't beleeeeeeeive you. You're a liar!

I disagree with everything you posted. I love Johnny Cash. Johnny Cash is considered Country music, so be your logic, I should love Jason Aldeen. I don't. He is terrible.

Hardware doesn't have genres. They are measurements. A 3/4" inch nut isn't a 3/4" inch but because someone called it that, it is because it measures 3/4". Also not sure what hardware store you go to. The nuts and bolts are all in one aisle at every Lowes or Home Depot I've ever been to and they are separated by purpose and material type, not by metric or SAE.

In my world there are 2 genres, music I like and music I don't.

You need to go to a better class of hardware store. Mixing SAE and Metric is a big no-no. Home Despot is organized by teenaged monkeys. Try telling your "all hardware is the same" story to an aerospace engineer. You done stepped in it now.:tongue: Milspec NAS or GTFO.

But Aldeen is crap, you got that part right anyway.

You need to go to a better class of hardware store. Mixing SAE and Metric is a big no-no. Home Despot is organized by teenaged monkeys. Try telling your "all hardware is the same" story to an aerospace engineer. You done stepped in it now.:tongue: Milspec NAS or GTFO.

But Aldeen is crap, you got that part right anyway.

This is music not rocket science

:rim:

:grin:

pretty sure aerospace engineers don’t walk into a local hardware store to buy their hardware.

the point wasn’t all hardware is the same, it has differences that are scientifically different. Not arbitrarily created by music critics and record labels.

This is music not rocket science

:rim:

:grin:

pretty sure aerospace engineers don’t walk into a local hardware store to buy their hardware.

the point wasn’t all hardware is the same, it has differences that are scientifically different. Not arbitrarily created by music critics and record labels.

We actually buy a lot of hardware (nuts and bolts) from McMaster-Carr.

The NAS stuff is the same, but a lot more expensive. Bring a metric bolt into my lab, and my manager will toss both of you out!!

:)

But I get what you are saying.

Back