Tunnels

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
img12.gif

there are several of those on the Penn Turnpike. when i was a kid and we used to go on vacation from western pa. to the jersey shore, there were like 6 of them and i thought they were SOOOOOOOO coooooool......i was 5

there are several of those on the Penn Turnpike. when i was a kid and we used to go on vacation from western pa. to the jersey shore, there were like 6 of them and i thought they were SOOOOOOOO coooooool......i was 5
Same here.

My family had a camper we were hauling, had the natural gas tanks in the front for the stove etc. And a Pennsylvania state trooper pulls my dad over after we've gone thru 5 of the tunnels and tells us they don't allow campers with those tanks on to go thru the tunnels. You're supposed to get off the highway and go around the tunnels. No signs stating so or anything, you are supposed to have ESP and just know, I guess. So after talking awhile, the troopers says screw it, you got one more tunnel to go, just go on ahead. Just don't come back thru this way on your way back to Michigan. So on our way back we went up to Albany and took I-90 west thru New York state :embarrassed:

Same here.

My family had a camper we were hauling, had the natural gas tanks in the front for the stove etc. And a Pennsylvania state trooper pulls my dad over after we've gone thru 5 of the tunnels and tells us they don't allow campers with those tanks on to go thru the tunnels. You're supposed to get off the highway and go around the tunnels. No signs stating so or anything, you are supposed to have ESP and just know, I guess. So after talking awhile, the troopers says screw it, you got one more tunnel to go, just go on ahead. Just don't come back thru this way on your way back to Michigan. So on our way back we went up to Albany and took I-90 west thru New York state :embarrassed:

we were originally from Lancaster, Pa......so on the way to NJ....we'd stop off in Lancaster and hit the farmer's market (all Amish food.....spectacular).....and get shoo fly pie and soft pretzels........it was awesome......the tunnels and the pretzels....and the pee jar.......the trip was half the fun of the vacation.

When I was a kid we use to go exploring through these storm sewers. We called it The Tunnel.

01-aerial-tributary.jpg

this is kind of scary

In July 2009, the westbound tube partially flooded after a thunderstorm hit the Hampton Roads region. The flooding was caused by a failed water main, which burst and led a chamber below the tunnel roadway to fill with millions of gallons of water. Pumps designed to remove water from the chamber were overwhelmed, and water began to puddle on the roadway, forcing VDOT to close the tunnel for nearly seven hours during midday on July 2, 2009.[1]

This closure forced hundreds of thousands of commuters, tourists, as well as Hampton Roads residents heading westbound for the Fourth of July holiday, to divert and go through the MMMBT or the James River Bridge, the only alternate routes to get to thePeninsula. The MMMBT had troubles of its own during the afternoon, as a pileup shut down the westbound lanes, closing the tunnel and causing a 20-mile traffic jam[2] along I-664. The James River Bridge was also closed on July 2 because of downed wires from the storm.[3] The series of events involving all three water crossings led to a "perfect storm" of traffic which led to gridlock throughout all major arteries of Hampton Roads.

The flooding of the Hampton Roads Bridge–Tunnel caused widespread concern about evacuation capabilities of the region during the approach of a hurricane, as the HRBT, MMMBT and the James River Bridge serve as the primary hurricane evacuation routes for residents of Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Chesapeake.[2]

This tunnel is a few miles away from my house.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432299804.963516.jpg

It's known as The Screaming Tunnel with the requisite stories that if you're there at a certain time, you'll the screams of a woman that was killed there years ago.

So, it's always been a place to take a date to scare them into thinking your some kind of hero. I don't understand how that works, but that's the story. It's also been a place to party much to the chagrin of the people living in the couple of houses located on the road leading to the tunnel.

*spoiler*

The 'certain time' happens to coincide with the train schedule that puts trains travelling on the tracks above this tunnel.

Last edited:
There are some bigger tunnels around here as well.
They go under the Welland Canal and carry road and rail traffic.
(I feel like John Watt every time I type Welland.)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432300870.439346.jpg

That's a ship over the tunnel opening..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432300880.086732.jpg

There are two tunnels (actually two sets of tunnels) on I77 going from WV into South east VA. There used to be another one a few miles from where I grew up, but it was only a two lane tunnel, and when they widened the turnpike to 4 lanes, they closed the tunnel.

They use it now to practice underground rescues and things like that.

Back