Tube amp warm up and tone...

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
I've noticed that with my Splawn it sounds good at the start of band practice (maybe 5 minutes of "on standby" warmup before we start playing.

But, maybe it's my ears, but as the night goes on it sounds better and better. After a half hour or more it really sounds fantastic... Seems to warm up (tone wise) and become more dynamic.

What say you tube amp owners? How much warm up does your amp take before it sounds it's best?

There is definitely a difference. I've talked to a few engineers who say they turn the amps on and encourage players to practice before they roll any tape. Otherwise, the difference in tone is apparent when they cut takes together.

It really varies how long amps need to warm up before they work at their best.

My AC30 doesn't need long at all, but the Victory normally needs an half hour or so.
That reminds me, really should get a good attenuator. Both are way too loud for most scenarios. :embarrassed:

I definitely hear a difference as it becomes completely warmed up. The Quickrod just sings once it’s cooking. Plus I just rolled some new preamp tubes through it and am completely happy with how it sounds...you might have seen my post outlining the changes I’ve made in the other forum.

I definitely hear a difference as it becomes completely warmed up. The Quickrod just sings once it’s cooking. Plus I just rolled some new preamp tubes through it and am completely happy with how it sounds...you might have seen my post outlining the changes I’ve made in the other forum.

Saw that, gonna keep it for reference... not looking for a tube change soon but the day will come!

yeah about 30 minutes before they are good and primed. I always loved having an opening band so I could flip my amp on and leave it in standby during their set. Then it would be ready to rock when we started.

Back