Trying to figure out which delay to get...

Why I oughta!!!

Seriously though, I'm a feet dragger from way back. I spent years deciding on gear and then either they stop making it and can't get it or I decide to not get it (or anything like it) at all. I probably would never have gotten a Godin Session Custom had I not found old new stock blow out on Reverb...and I was willing to pay the original full price, but the updates weren't worth the extra $200 to me.

I'm tempted to get the old Flashback for $99, but it doesn't have any expression capabilities (outside of manual manipulation).

For expression capabilities, I still say you can't beat the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy.

igv8ejtuvunmncnn18p8.jpg

And it only has 1 tone print slot. I'm not sure what type of delay you like better, but if I were looking at the old versions, I'd get the Alter Ego. It's stock delays are better for me.

Yeah, that's another reason to hold off...I mentioned them implementing MASH into the X4 pedals and modd pedals, but they should get it in their other other delays, boosts, drives, compressor, dittos, etc. ASAP. It's almost like they've downgraded the options and appeal of their other pedals without MASH. If it's not in a pedal, it's lost sonic utility and value.

I'd rather buy an Alter Ego with MASH, one of the settings would be adding heads to the EchoRec delay...varying based on depth/pressure.

Yeah, that's another reason to hold off...I mentioned them implementing MASH into the X4 pedals and modd pedals, but they should get it in their other other delays, boosts, drives, compressor, dittos, etc. ASAP. It's almost like they've downgraded the options and appeal of their other pedals without MASH. If it's not in a pedal, it's lost sonic utility and value.

I'd rather buy an Alter Ego with MASH, one of the settings would be adding heads to the EchoRec delay...varying based on depth/pressure.

The Flashback has 2 Echorec Toneprints you can use. I have one saved on mine. I'm not sure you can add heads using the Mash though.

It's almost like they've downgraded the options and appeal of their other pedals without MASH. If it's not in a pedal, it's lost sonic utility and value.

This is why I sold my HOF mini now, instead of waiting. MASH will be implemented in every future release in some way, and there's no reason to hang onto the old tech.

The Flashback has 2 Echorec Toneprints you can use. I have one saved on mine. I'm not sure you can add heads using the Mash though.

How does it compare to the Catalinbread?

How long?

So Big Mouth, the new Netflix cartoon has a hormone monster (actually two...no three)...anyway, EVERYTHING is a double entendre with him (as is fitting). So, now everything I'm typing or reading has me thinking and (in my head) using his voice to "say" these things...

"in every future release"

"how long"

"you can beat it"

"varying based on depth/pressure"

"I'm not sure you can add heads"

So, I want it long...real LONNNNNNNNNGGGG.

This is why I sold my HOF mini now, instead of waiting. MASH will be implemented in every future release in some way, and there's no reason to hang onto the old tech.

How does it compare to the Catalinbread?

It's not as good as the Catalinbread, but it is good. My favorite tone print is one of the memory man prints. The echorec is a close second.

Sounds like we may have a flood of non-mash-enabled TC pedals on the used market pretty soon.

Yeah, and TC dropped the price on the previous Flashback and Hall of Fame $50 (or bucks). So you'll have to take an even bigger loss as your used and worn pedals need to sell for significantly less than the cheaper new ones.

Sounds like we may have a flood of non-mash-enabled TC pedals on the used market pretty soon.

Honestly, I bit for the Mash feature (which on the delay is killer) but the added toneprint slots is a better feature. I’m still trying to find s good Mash setting on the HOF.

So Big Mouth, the new Netflix cartoon has a hormone monster (actually two...no three)...anyway, EVERYTHING is a double entendre with him (as is fitting). So, now everything I'm typing or reading has me thinking and (in my head) using his voice to "say" these things...

"in every future release"

"how long"

"you can beat it"

"varying based on depth/pressure"

"I'm not sure you can add heads"

So, I want it long...real LONNNNNNNNNGGGG.

In that case, I would get a digital delay with an analog setting. The Rubberneck, DMB, and CC Deluxe are all analog pedals and are limited in their delay time by the number of chips in the pedal. So you can get 600 to 900 ms out of an analog delay with enough chips, but you'll never get the quality of repeats that digital can provide.

For that kinda flexibility, I would get an Eventide Timefactor or H9, BOSS DD-500, or Strymon Timeline. Or in a smaller format, the EHX Canyon or TC Flashback 2.

If it were me personally, I'm getting the Eventide Timefactor. I like that there's no menus, all of the knobs have a function, it has presets, and the multitap goes infinitely beyond the Echorec.

In that case, I would get a digital delay with an analog setting. The Rubberneck, DMB, and CC Deluxe are all analog pedals and are limited in their delay time by the number of chips in the pedal. So you can get 600 to 900 ms out of an analog delay with enough chips, but you'll never get the quality of repeats that digital can provide.

For that kinda flexibility, I would get an Eventide Timefactor or H9, BOSS DD-500, or Strymon Timeline. Or in a smaller format, the EHX Canyon or TC Flashback 2.

If it were me personally, I'm getting the Eventide Timefactor. I like that there's no menus, all of the knobs have a function, it has presets, and the multitap goes infinitely beyond the Echorec.

If you need a bunch of different delay sounds, its hard to go wrong with the FB2 or the Timefactor. The Timefactor is awesome, a little bit more complicated and larger, but that's expected because of all it can do.

If you need a bunch of different delay sounds, its hard to go wrong with the FB2 or the Timefactor. The Timefactor is awesome, a little bit more complicated and larger, but that's expected because of all it can do.

Not need, but want...to figure out how I can or might use various sounds or to determine that I only like one or two things and think about getting boxes that specialize in those.

Honestly, I bit for the Mash feature (which on the delay is killer) but the added toneprint slots is a better feature. I’m still trying to find s good Mash setting on the HOF.

If there were expression options for the EHX Canyon, I'd save $30 and just get that...I still might, but who knows.

I just got a stupid ass speeding ticket this afternoon after getting stuck in traffic for 40 minutes, so that my be my delay pedal fund. Probably more as it was more than double the limit, so I have to go to court and get reprimanded by a judge. Fucking yay...

Aren’t you in the DC area? If so, head up to the barn next weekend and you can try out my FB2 and probably a dozen other delay pedals :grin:

Last edited:
That Pedal Show briefly touched on the GFI Clockwork 2 in their latest, but it was a quick skim in what turned to mainly being an Empress Echostation lovefest. The GFI seems like a great piece, but also without a great demo/review video.

I'm still waiting for an in depth demo of the Carbon Copy Deluxe. The Dehoe guy did a new one for Sweetwater, but he keeps talking about a huge amount of expression features, but on detailed the one where you can create to two settings and use the pedal to sweep between. This was actually quite cool, but if it only scratches the surface of what the pedal do let's get someone to really take in through its paces and show us!

Back