Help! True bypass wah

I've got an MXR M117 flanger and a phase 90 that aren't TB either. I'm gonna hook them up and see what happens. If I have an issue I'll try my buffer pedal. If that doesn't work I'll look into a TB box if the price is right. Otherwise I'll sell them ridiculously overpriced on Reverb.
One other thing I need to look at too. I have a Musicomlab EFX mkiii switcher that I don't currently have on my board. I need to see if the loops in that act as a TB loop when the Fx are off.

If you have an issue, a buffer pedal won't do anything for the problem you're describing.

I guess to be precise, if a pedal passes a signal in Off/Bypass state without power, then it is true bypass. If it will only pass a signal when powered, then it is probably buffered. There are some true bypass circuits that need power too (e.g. a relay circuit), but I think those are somewhat rare.
Yeah, I've learned a lot these past few days about all of this TB stuff from this thread and my own research. Clearly you guys know more than me!!
Al these years I've never ran into too many issues with these things happening with my gear....seems like with my Quickrod I've got to be careful with what I use. It's a damn picky amp!!! Good thing it sounds as good as it does!!

If it works bypassed without having a battery or plugged into a power supply, it is true bypass. Buffers need power to operate.

I guess to be precise, if a pedal passes a signal in Off/Bypass state without power, then it is true bypass. If it will only pass a signal when powered, then it is probably buffered. There are some true bypass circuits that need power too (e.g. a relay circuit), but I think those are somewhat rare.

This is not quite correct. Old school FX like vintage wahs, EHX, MXR, DOD, etc. use "mechanical hard bypass. They will pass signal without a battery when bypassed but none are true bypass.

The traditional mechanical hard bypass works like this (thank you to R.G. and his Geofex site)...
bpdiag4.gif

...these switch the output jack side but leave the circuit connected, where it can drain off signal parasitically. This was the whole reason true bypass became popular, to fix "signal loading" mechanical bypass FX (not buffered FX which already solved signal loading by outputting a low-impedance, active signal). Then people went all "everything must be true bypass" batsh*t crazy.

Doesn't MXR use a buffered bypass to "solve" the tone suck issue? A buffer pedal in front of it wouldn't do the same?

Not unless they added a buffer, original MXR were not buffer, and I don't think most of their RI's are. But they do maintain the mechanical bypass I discuss directly above. Not sure about the Flanger RI.

If you have an issue, a buffer pedal won't do anything for the problem you're describing.

A good buffer should prevent signal loading from vintage FX and long cable runs. That's why buffers became an industry standard. It's also why so many touring musicians use Boss pedals or active PU's or wireless....for their low impedance buffered signal.

Last edited:
So it comes down to two choices then...
1) use a True Bypass box/strip
2) sell my non True Bypass pedals and get others that are TB.
The good news is that I only have a very few pedals that are not TB and the ones I have are not essential pedals to my setup.

Not necessarily.

I have FX that are mechical hard bypass...vintage Dynacomp, vintage Phase 90, green Sovtek Big Muff pi...I have buffered FX...TS-9, DM-2, AF-9...and true bypass FX. All work great with no tone suck. Most are on my bord now.

But I had some mechanical hard bypass FX that did signal load...vintage EHX Soul Preacher...and some with bad buffer circuit...OC-2, Tube Driver. Those I sold.

Remember cables signal load was well. If you testing a pedal with two 15' cables, you need to use a 30' canle of ainilsr make when comparing "straight in." Plus, even true bypass seitches start to signal load after about 5 or so. A goos buffer early one is priceless. It can counter a lot of signal loading from FX and cables.

Last edited:
So it comes down to two choices then...
1) use a True Bypass box/strip
2) sell my non True Bypass pedals and get others that are TB.
The good news is that I only have a very few pedals that are not TB and the ones I have are not essential pedals to my setup.

No. I have many buffered pedals. This is not a black and white subject. The only time you need to make a change is if you hear a difference and that difference matters enough to you.

Yeah, I suppose I owe it to my self to hook them up and see how it sounds. It's only a couple/few pedals and it may not have the negative effect that I think it might. I hate to not be able to use the flanger. It's really a nice sounding pedal and it's capable of a lot of cool sounds. From EVH to Heart.

Back