Tried out two guitars this afternoon.

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
The first was a used Martin D15M mahogany guitar that was really nice. I like to look of the mahogany and the fact that is is a satin finish. It was nice to play and had a great sound. As much as I am not usually a Martin fan, this guitar felt and sounded nice. The price was pretty good as well.

The other guitar was an Alverez mahogany acoustic electric. Like the Martin, it was satin finish, and I was blown away by the bass this had while playing unplugged. It has a cutaway, which I would rather not have, but it was $400 less than the Martin, not to mention I would then need to install a pickup in the Martin.

I think I'll stick with what I have. :grin:

If what you're using is working for you, no need to change, unless you just want a "different" sound.

And yeah, some of those Alvarez guitars sound pretty damned fine, don't they?

I remember playing an Alvarez 12 string that was the bees knees.
Sounded fantastic, and I don't even really know how to play a 12 string.

They do a good job, those guys at Alvarez. It's not junk, that's for sure.

I really used to like Alvarez but they've had some serious QC issues in the last few years. I've seen a lot of cracked tops, broken truss rods and just shoddy work all around. I used to be a big fan, but I think when they moved their production to China for all but the Yairi models they haven't recovered. Years ago I would have recommended them to anyone to check out, especially if they liked the neck profile. I'm kinda sad I sold my cedar topped one several years back. I think it was to @FMC+ ?

I had a really nice Alvarez Masterwork guitar a few years ago. Played great and sounded wonderful. But I got it in a trade an it was just way to blingy for me. It had MOP vine all up and down the fretboard....just not me. So I sold it.

It was incidental to this one....

in_case.JPG

The Martin really surprised me. I generally do noy like the look of Martins, but this one was just my style. It looked like this:
D-15M_x.jpg

Back