Trickery or subjectiveness...

RyanNo3

Pedals - Pedals - Pedals
So... I was fiddling around on the utoobs and found this video. After I watched it, I was dying to read the comments section. Like all videos with "this is how you do something" it didn't take long for the comment thread to disintegrate.

So... What say you?

People are dicks. The dude was asked how he dialed in his amps and he showed them, then they unloaded. It wasn't like he was a dick or talking down to people. He gave some decent advice, at least a good way to find a starting spot to dial in from.

People are dicks. The dude was asked how he dialed in his amps and he showed them, then they unloaded. It wasn't like he was a dick or talking down to people. He gave some decent advice, at least a good way to find a starting spot to dial in from.

This is the issue with teh interwebz in general, but especially sites, programs, and apps that allow for commenting and interaction...

We, the people, have lost any sense of decorum and decency. Since we can and generally do hide behind anonymous names and avatars, we speak/commet without accountability. My basic rule of thumb when contributing to any public discussions is to avoid saying anything I wouldn't say to someone's face. This clearly an exception to the new rules of public discourse wherein people say the shittiest, stupidest, most myopic things to each other with no regard for decency or concern for feelings...all based off a completely lack of repercussions.

The fucking internet loves to dwell on semantics.... "It's where the pots are the most sensitive, not where the amp sounds the best"

Well dickwit... if that's where the pots are the most sensitive, then plus or minus on each knob should have the most effect on the tone shaping and get the closest to what you want with the least amount of turning, right? fuck. :annoyed:

The fucking internet loves to dwell on semantics.... "It's where the pots are the most sensitive, not where the amp sounds the best"

Well dickwit... if that's where the pots are the most sensitive, then plus or minus on each knob should have the most effect on the tone shaping and get the closest to what you want with the least amount of turning, right? fuck. :annoyed:

See, Bai is attacking some unknown faceless person! Is he even slightly concerned?!? NOOOOO!!!

When with the madness end!

:thu:

Last edited:
Cool technique, and it works for him.

However, having built and studied guitar amps, I can say that what works with one pre-amp configuration won't always work for another. For example, there can be considerable interplay between a preamp vol and the tone stack (MESA amps have this) that can change how and where the tone stack peaks. Within the tone stack there is interplay as well.

His technique does seem like a good starting point.

Cool technique, and it works for him.

However, having built and studied guitar amps, I can say that what works with one pre-amp configuration won't always work for another. For example, there can be considerable interplay between a preamp vol and the tone stack (MESA amps have this) that can change how and where the tone stack peaks. Within the tone stack there is interplay as well.

His technique does seem like a good starting point.

You mention Mesa and that is what threw me from his method. As soon as he went from the first knob to the second, I thought, if that was a Mesa now that he dialed in the second, he'll have to go back and tweak the first. Boogies tone stack are very connected, and the knobs seem to all interact together. Which is probably why I've had a love/hate relationship with them. I hate to twist knobs, but once you get them set, they do sound great.

You mention Mesa and that is what threw me from his method. As soon as he went from the first knob to the second, I thought, if that was a Mesa now that he dialed in the second, he'll have to go back and tweak the first. Boogies tone stack are very connected, and the knobs seem to all interact together. Which is probably why I've had a love/hate relationship with them. I hate to twist knobs, but once you get them set, they do sound great.
If they every came out with a mini version of the electra dyne, I'd be all over it. I love that amp, but it's too much amp.

Back