Travelers - school me on Caribbean destinations

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Since I just finished a vacation, naturally I'm planning the next one. :grin:

Next summer we want to hit the Caribbean (probably). I would like to hear about the islands you folks have been to.

What we are interested in:
  • snorkeling/diving
  • golf
  • tennis
  • nice beaches
  • scenery/photo ops
So far my favorite possibility is St. Lucia. Except it is a ballbuster to get to, looks like a 2-day journey from here. Direct flights are one of my favorite things.

My experience is limited to the western Caribbean

Grand Cayman - Safe, beautiful and clean, and everyone speaks English. Buses will take you anywhere for a couple of dollars a shot. Snorkeling (and I presume diving) is great. My favorite spot is Cemetery Beach.

Cozumel - Relatively safe (for Mexico). Beautiful beaches. Snorkeling and diving good. Taxis are reasonable, but some of the drivers will try repeatedly to talk you into hiring them for the day.

Montego Bay Jamaica - Don't leave the resort.

Belize - Beautiful and world class diving and snorkeling, but from what I understand, now too dangerous to consider.

Roatan - Beautiful. Most everyone speaks English. Relatively clean. I felt completely safe when we were there a few years ago, but I think the crime is picking up. Visiting Roatan also puts you on the Red Cross' naughty list so you can't give blood for a year after visiting (Malaria concerns). I don't know about diving or snorkeling.

Have you considered a cruise? You can try several different spots that way.

I got married (and honeymooned) in St Lucia, and I can vouch that is indeed a beautiful island that ticks all the items on your checklist above. We hired a guide and explored pretty much every highlight of the entire island, plus a few out of the way places. The people were cool, the food was great, and the scenery was amazing. We were there for a week and still did not have time to do everything we wanted.

Getting to St Lucia from Houston is kind of a hassle, as you've already figured out. We stayed overnight in Miami on the trip out. The trip home is kind of blur now, but I think we did it all in one day... still required a plane change in Miami.

The only Caribbean Islands I've been to are St. Thomas and St. Martin. We didn't spend much time on either island, as we were doing our check out dives for scuba certification.

I will say that St. Martin was a lot more...in your face. Lots of street vendors and people wanting to braid Mrs. P's hair.

I remember the diving being pretty good at both islands.

Good input so far guys, thanks!

I hadn't heard that Belize was getting dodgy. That's kind of sad.

Mrs. Roach is pretty anti-cruise, so that's out.

Jamaica isn't a good idea unless you like to be locked into a resort. The streets are very dangerous.

St. Maarten is cool from what I have been told, though the biggest attraction involves getting sand blasted by jet exhaust.

Belize - Beautiful and world class diving and snorkeling, but from what I understand, now too dangerous to consider.

Roatan - Beautiful. Most everyone speaks English. Relatively clean. I felt completely safe when we were there a few years ago, but I think the crime is picking up. Visiting Roatan also puts you on the Red Cross' naughty list so you can't give blood for a year after visiting (Malaria concerns). I don't know about diving or snorkeling.
Excellent advice, with a few possible different points of view.

Belize on the mainland is potentially dangerous, but out on one of the cayes it is much nicer and very relaxed.
I'd go back to Caye Caulker and spend most of a week there if I ever go back.
http://www.gocayecaulker.com/

Roatan island has had some spots of crime, but mostly safe as of the last year. A cab is a must to get around. West Bay has excellent snorkeling.
Mapa-wbba_front_maponly_1600x800_50.jpg

Yeah, Jamaica isn't really under consideration (also kind of sad).

Also, no places with voodoo. That stuff creeps me out.

FYI, Aruba is basically just Reno on the Carribean. There’s some nice snorkeling, but not much else happening.

I've never been to the Caribbean/central America, but I've been seeing commercials for Panama the past couple of days. I wouldn't mind heading down there, I've always wanted to see the canal.

I've been to a number of islands in the Caribbean. Although the beaches and the water were nice, I don't think any of the islands match the beauty of Hawaii. I've never had to worry about my personal belongings or personal safety in Hawaii, and at least for me, the feeling of relaxation I find in Hawaii is unparalleled.

I've never been to the Caribbean/central America, but I've been seeing commercials for Panama the past couple of days. I wouldn't mind heading down there, I've always wanted to see the canal.

We have some friends from Panama. Lots to see there...delicious fish to eat...

I've been to a number of islands in the Caribbean. Although the beaches and the water were nice, I don't think any of the islands match the beauty of Hawaii. I've never had to worry about my personal belongings or personal safety in Hawaii, and at least for me, the feeling of relaxation I find in Hawaii is unparalleled.

Hmm yeah I will have to look at prices for Hawaii too...

If you like unspoiled beaches Viecques in PR is amazing. The drawback is that it's not safe and many locals, including the cops, hate whites and mainlanders.

I think I would get bored going to the Caribbean. One day on the beach would be enough for me. Then what would I do all the other days? I'm a lousy swimmer so I'm not sure snorkeling would be something I could do.

Cancun would be a bit more interesting. At least I could go exploring Mayan ruins :embarrassed:

I think I would get bored going to the Caribbean. One day on the beach would be enough for me. Then what would I do all the other days? I'm a lousy swimmer so I'm not sure snorkeling would be something I could do.

Cancun would be a bit more interesting. At least I could go exploring Mayan ruins :embarrassed:

Cancun is great if you dig partying.

You can't get near any of the ruins now as they're protected.

Suddenly Mrs. Roach has declared she wants to go to Yellowstone. :annoyed:

That's not necessarily a problem, I'd love to do that, but holy change of plans batman.

Back