Trainwreck Express & Liverpool Demos - The "Other Dumble"

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member

I had never heard of these amps before reading Brad Paisley talk about them a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blasphemy!

Ken Fischer is rolling in his grave to be called the "Other Dumble".

I learned of Trainwreck in the mid 90's when I used to subscribe to the magazine "Vintage Guitar". In the mag, Ken had an article series called the Trainwreck pages. After reading his articles and his detail to amps, I started to communicate with him via email (infancy days) and eventually asked if he could build one for me. Sadly Ken declined as he was ill and would have good and bad days. He did say though that if his health improved, he would build one for me but sad to say that Ken passed in 2006.

He did do some repair work and maintained what he had built up to that point. In fact he worked a company called Komet amps and they produced the amps of his design.

http://www.kometamps.com/overview.html

There are many clones out there and the Trainwreck amps are based off of Vox AC30 amps designs done to Ken's specs. He had specially wound iron for the PS and OT along with selective components for his amps. Depending on the amp can either have EL84's or EL34's.

On a sidenote, Dumbles are based of the Bassman circuit with the overdrive section using a FET front end. Dumble's had 6L6's.

Wow, cool story Modern Saint!

I saw those "trainwreck pages" posted online somewhere... was it at TGP?

Wow, cool story Modern Saint!

I saw those "trainwreck pages" posted online somewhere... was it at TGP?

Don't really know, could be. I have an account at TGP but visit there less than HC.

What I do know is that Gerald Weber of Kendrick Amps also had a column there at the sametime - made for great reading. Anyway Gerald released another book on amps which I bought that contains the Trainwreck pages. This is his second book that I bought a few years ago.

2918685.jpg

What the current TGP hivemind opinion of the JM Trainwrecks? I punched out of that whole kerfuffel after 10 pages.

in case anyone is interested, there is this east Asian-based company with a good rep, which sells clones of just about any "renowned" amp you could want. They sell full kits, kits less transformers (cheaper to ship), semi- assembled kits, kits assembled, less tubes and cabinet, etc., the dudes a total amp geek and prices are far more reasonable than the originals, and especially fun if you like to fire up a soldering gun. Been around for years.

http://www.ceriatone.com/

I've been interested in those ceriatone kits... But I'm not really able decipher what all you get from them kit wise. Like is the board stuffed and assembled, or is it a bag of parts (that is what I would prefer).

My friend just recently bought at Ceriatone that someone built for him - it was okay. I still prefer my bandmaster with say a Fuchs Plush Drive or Zendrive for the lead dumble type sound. As for a Trainwreck, I have plans to build a clone but have many other projects ahead of it - so maybe one day. Sadly you have to crank a Trainwreck for the right sound hence EL84's will go into that when it is time.

I've heard of these amps but I've never seen one in person. I enjoyed the videos.

All those legendary amps have WAY too much power for my needs. That's why I have this Trainwreck circuit....

a8c7a9c6-597a-4d37-88a6-1d563d50826c_zps9de02125.jpg

:embarrassed:

I've been interested in those ceriatone kits... But I'm not really able decipher what all you get from them kit wise. Like is the board stuffed and assembled, or is it a bag of parts (that is what I would prefer).

Board is stuffed. For a while you could have gotten them unassembled, but I think there were issues with missing parts that killed Nik on replacement shipping. With the stuffed board, all the tiny parts are accounted for. But they will sell you an unpopulated board for you to source parts yourself. Typically, it's best to order the kit, or even assembled chassis, without iron if you can solder trannies in yourself.

The basic concept behind the Trainwreck Express and Liverpool is they are a JMP and Vox Top Boost (respectively) with just about every stabilizing aspect stripped away...very touch responsive...but VERY bright as well (cuts great in a band mix...sounds harsh in Madison Square Bedroom).

Last edited:
Board is stuffed. For a while you could have gotten them unassembled, but I think there were issues with missing parts that killed Nik on replacement shipping. With the stuffed board, all the tiny parts are accounted for. But they will sell you an unpopulated board for you to source parts yourself. Typically, it's best to order the kit, or even assembled chassis, without iron if you can solder trannies in yourself.

The basic concept behind the Trainwreck Express and Liverpool is they are a JMP and Vox Top Boost (respectively) with just about every stabilizing aspect stripped away...very touch responsive...but VERY bright as well (cuts great in a band mix...sounds harsh in Madison Square Bedroom).

Lol @ msb.

Thanks for that info. I wouldn't mind getting a kit at some point I suppose. The last amp I made I did from a blank chassis and drilling all those holes was A LOT of work.

Back