Tragically Hip's Gord Downie diagnosed with terminal brain cancer

Horrible news, these guys have been a huge influence and someone I listen to everyday. Have seen them too many times to count all the way back to when there were only a hand full of people at their first Detroit show.
I remember picking up their first full length album (on tape), while my friend was getting stuff by the latest shit rock hair bands of the time, I saw their tape cover and thought "these guys don't look like assholes". Been a big fan ever since.

Have seen them too many times to count all the way back to when there were only a hand full of people at their first Detroit show.

I'm very envious, I never got to see them. Downie is an incredibly odd guy with tremendous stage presence. I think the first time I became aware of them was an appearance on SNL. I don't even remember what they played, but I remember thinking, "This dude is seriously unhinged. I want to know more." As it turned out the music was killer, too.

Yeah terrible news. While I haven't been following the band much these days I was/am a big fan of their earlier material. Any band that has hockey references get's bonus points from me. A friend of mine has brain cancer (not sure if it is the same) but it's not pretty.

I'm very envious, I never got to see them. Downie is an incredibly odd guy with tremendous stage presence. I think the first time I became aware of them was an appearance on SNL. I don't even remember what they played, but I remember thinking, "This dude is seriously unhinged. I want to know more." As it turned out the music was killer, too.

My brother in law and I will be going to the London Ontario show in August. I got him into them so this will be a fitting goodbye.

People around here,(radio stations, etc), are starting to lobby to try and get them east of Kingston..

Of course it mostly depends on Gord...

Here's a shout out/good wishes from my friends' band. They did this at their gig last night.
The singer had surgery two and a half weeks ago. They gigged last week as well. He didn't miss a gig.

Back