Tragically Hip

Mentioned to my wife this morning to not plan on any sudden outings with friends or in-laws (she does this all the time) on Saturday as I will be watching their final concert and probably too emotional to want to be bothered with anything.
By the way, thank you CBC.

Today is the day. GF and I are heading over for the street party and viewing of the final concert with a crowd of Hip fans. I also set the timer to record the concert..

Show is on tv on CBC at 9:30 Atlantic and titled, "A National Celebration"..

Here we go....

Last edited:
My opinion....It was sad to see a disease slowly robbing Gord of his beautifully unique tone and phrasing and especially his too cool vibrato..

It was obvious it was an effort...That being said his 'front man' antics are so cool to witness..

Good going home show...Glad I watched it with so many people that are Hip fans...

Yup, tears were shed...

The Prime Minister says it best I guess...

I managed to watch a bit of it thanks to the CBC for broadcasting it free and without commercials worldwide. It was a bittersweet moment for sure. Hopefully the whole concert gets posted online sometime so I can see what I missed (timezones and other activities prevented me from watching it all).

Also saw this great tribute from Eddie Vetter/Pearl Jam at their concert in Chicago last night. Props to them for sure

I'ver never heard any of their stuff, but I look forward to getting to know them. I'm so tragically unhip that it's not unusual for me to get into a band only after it is gone...

I only saw the last hour of the show, because I thought it started at 8:embarrassed:0pm. It started at 6:embarrassed:0pm my time:mad:.

I loved it, but It was hard for me to watch. My favourite bands are dropping like flies.

Great show and a huge thank you to CBC for showing it (can't imagine something like that being done over here without it getting fucked up with censoring and commercials). Probably a pretty good chance it was the most watched event in Canada.
I can freely admit there were many times I "had something in my eye" while watching.
Just a great band that will be missed but who's influence will always stay.
If you're a fan and really start missing them I highly recommend picking up the two solo albums by Paul Langois, really great from start to finish.

Fifty-Mission Cap (O Canada sung by the crowd)
Courage
Wheat Kings
At the Hundredth Meridian
In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
What Blue
Tired as Fuck
Machine
My Music at Work
Lake Fever
Toronto #4
Putting Down
Twist My Arm
Three Pistols
Fiddler's Green
Little Bones
The Last of the Unplucked Gems
Something On
Poets
Bobcaygeon
Fireworks

Encore:
New Orleans Is Sinking
Boots or Hearts
Blow at High Dough

Encore 2:
Nautical Disaster
Scared
Grace, Too

Encore 3:

Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Gift Shop
Ahead by a Century

So, I've read about these guys for years in various music/guitar magazines. In delving into their catalog in the last week, it seems I was familiar with a handful of tunes. It also turns out I really like them and definitely should have dug deeper years ago.

The R.E.M. comparison seems spot on and completely fair. They aren't copying them, but Gord's vocal inflections are hugely reminiscent of Stipe's albeit a differently tuned voice. Similarly Baker's and Langlois's guitar parts have that clean/dirty thing that touches on Peter Buck's tones. I don't think it should be taken as a slight, but it seems hard to deny by my ears. R.E.M. were huge, so huge in fact, that I surprised their sound wasn't more imitated. Might that similarity have been what stopped the Hip from being bigger in the U.S.? Since a certain amount of that unique sound was readily available and hugely popular here, maybe... I also picked up some influence from The Call, another great and underappreciated band, possibly kindred spirits.

While I'm not hearing or feeling the U2 comparisons, I have speculated on these very forums that R.E.M. were kind of like the American U2, meant with nothing but respect as I'm a fan of both bands. It's not a sound thing, but a vibe thing...both great bands with uniquely stellar lead singers (both with huge politically active voices as well), excellent yet unflashy guitarists, and most importantly great songs.

Anyway, it's a shame about Gord and what that means for the band. It's awesome that it's basically been the same guys from the beginning with Langlois having that same "new guy" thing that Peart has in Rush. But once he's gone, they're done...probably as it should have been for other bands that lost a longtime original member...especially the lead singer.

I've said in other threads that the Hip always struck me as R.E.M. with some balls. The U2 comparison makes more sense if you're not thinking about them musically and instead focus on the grandiose sweep and emotional connection that both bands are about.

Maybe I have to listen to them more, or maybe it is my huge love of REM, but I hear zero similarities in the 2. They have more of an Inxs or the Hoodoo Gurus vibe to me. In fairness, I have only listened to a few clips from this thread.

Paul definitely brings Mike Mills-esque vocal harmonies to the tunes...again not a bad thing. And the acoustic/electric guitar mix also hits the ears in a wonderfully similar manner as R.E.M.

dmn...definitely more consistent with adding balls to the mix. :thu:

I've said in other threads that the Hip always struck me as R.E.M. with some balls. The U2 comparison makes more sense if you're not thinking about them musically and instead focus on the grandiose sweep and emotional connection that both bands are about.

I've kinda always thought this as well. And while I like all 3 bands to some degree I can only listen to a few songs in a row of any of those bands before I start wanting to move on.

Back