Tragically Hip

Saw them play an Airport Marriott in the States (well after they were selling out arenas in Canuckyland).

Always thought they were only okay, their albums always sounded like they were ripping off 2-year old REM and U2 albums. It was like they were "the followers."
Every once in a while we're all wrong.....

So, it's ok son......

This was the closest thing that ever got any airplay in the U.S, but it never charted. It did get a brief revival after New Orleans actaully did sink.

The poor man's REM comparison was one that the Canadian press mentioned when I lived in B.C. (Day for Night).

That vid is blocked in my Country...

We like who we like, right?

Do I expect you to stop liking what you like in favor of what I like??

I like plain noodles with butter and garlic....How about you?

The video is New Orelans is Sinking...funny it's blocked in the one country where people will watch it.

The video is New Orelans is Sinking...funny it's blocked in the one country where people will watch it.
Well, it's blocked...Not like there aren't many other versions to watch...

'One Country'...You're as funny as shit cramps.....

Anyway...Enough of the fiddle sticks with the odd twit...

I'll bump this thread again when it gets close to the last show...

Some may be interested...

Enjoy the show on Monday emmaporkchop..

And post back your experience..

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to think that their appearance on SNL years ago would have broke them big in the USA if they would have played some of their upbeat songs. Who knows?

I don't hear any significant similarities to U2 or REM in them and I know both of those bands well.

The unfortunate part about them being relatively unknown in a musical community like this forum is that Gord Downie is one of the most prolific GOOD lyricists in music. Many of the 'great' bands have some pretty weak lyrics and this band that so many Americans seem to think are 'nothing special' have had the lyrics overlooked.

If a person can listen to a record like Fully Completely and not be interested in listening to it again, I feel sorry for that person - they are missing out on greatness.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to think that their appearance on SNL years ago would have broke them big in the USA if they would have played some of their upbeat songs.

Funny, it was the SNL appearance that hooked me. Downie was hypnotic to watch.

Got back yesterday from seeing them in London, Ontario. GREAT show, both a sad but happy celebration and thank you experience. Band was interesting in that they really stayed close to Gord throughout most of the show. Crowd was of course great too. Hard to believe it's done. London was a great city and everyone was extremely nice and excited for the show.
Will be watching CBC show on the 20th.

Bump, for this place does strange things to my brain..

GF and I will be heading over for the celebrations of the like of a person, and a band..
Anyone that's ever been on the waterfront of either Dartmouth or Halifax knows how sweet it is..

Pubs will be hopping...Food will be thrown down.. Tears will be shed..

Smiles will be lifted up by the corners of the mouth..

Countdown........................

We even played the New Orleans one and I have footage to prove it:

Some people said they were Cananananada's answer to R.E.M., although I don't see why a simple "No" wouldn't suffice.

Back