Took a trip to Gruhn's today.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
This should go without saying, but if you're ever in Nashville and don't think you'll have time to stop in, MAKE SURE YOU DO IT ANYWAY. Staff is great and there are just so many awesome guitars in there. A few highlights:

AM7517a.jpg

AM7517b.jpg

AM7517, Collings D1A Custom, 2012, NM, set up with K&K internal pickup with endpin jack, black top finish, Doghair finish on the neck, back and sides, OHC...$4,500.00

AB8793p.jpg

AB8793f.jpg

AB8793, Martin 000-28, 1943, VG+, neck reset and refret by Gruhn Guitars, herringbone trim, replacement tuners, powerful sound, very good period HC...$25,000.00

AM7461a.jpg

AM7461b.jpg

AM7461, McPherson 4.5 Camrielle 12-string, new, Florentine cutaway, redwood top, striped Macassor ebony back and sides, MCP Element electronics, Hoffee carbon fiber HC...$10,600.00

AM7528a.jpg
]
AM7528b.jpg

AM7528, Guild JF-30-12 twelve string, c.2002, EXF, HC...$1,500.00

ac1868.jpg

AC1868, Davis Luthiers, South Africa, Model 1, 2004, M, nylon strings, 1 7/8" nut width, internal pickup with endpin jack, custom-fitted Cedar Creek HC...$1,750.00

That Guild 12er was freaking sweet... sorely tempted if I had the cash. The last one, the Davis, was really unique and cool: had one of those flat style Gypsy Jazz necks and played beautifully. Kind of an odd sound, but pleasing. A lot more percussive, with almost a banjo type of resonance.

I also played a couple of mandolins, including a Weber Black Ice (had a nice, throaty wood sound), a Collings that was the easiest playing mandolin I've eve played in my life. Also jammed on this one for a little with some local guy.
MF8381a.jpg

MF8381, Gibson F-2, 1923, VG+++, a fine sounding Loar period instrument, OHC...$5,000.00

Local guy:
Vince-Gill-11-30.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Understatement of the year. His wife is a babe as well.....

I had honestly forgotten how good a mandolin player he was. I didn't even try to keep up, I just kept comping and let him go. It was cool listening to his insight into the different instruments... he obviously favours the vintage Gibsons, but he knew the voicing and character of each mandolin within a few seconds. Hell of a nice dude. I was temped to ask for a pic or an autograph, but figured just jamming and talking to him was more than I could have expected in the first place.

Dat Guild though...

Yeah. I spent most of the afternoon in there and played a few minutes on just about everything. I picked that one up a few times.

I forgot to mention that I finally played a Tweedy Martin! Sounded great, but as I suspected, I could not get comfortable with that V neck profile. :(

What a freakin' high that must've been. I love that Guild 12 String. And that 000-28. Wow.

What a freakin' high that must've been. I love that Guild 12 String. And that 000-28. Wow.

There were a couple of other really cool old Martins. There was a '37 OM I played that was the driest acoustic I ever played... don't know how else to describe it. I'm still not a solid Martin dude, but at Gruhn's they sure do have a lot of nicer pieces. That Doghair finish Collings was pretty sweet. If anything all those hours of playing have reinforced that I shouldn't lust after dreadnoughts anymore. Smaller bodied instruments really fit my style of play a lot better.

Very cool. Vince Gill irks me to no end, but I'd probably swoon like a school girl if I had a chance to jam with him.

Dang! Very cool. I don't think I'd wanna touch an guitar in that guy's presence. I'd disappear into a blackhole of my own ineptitude. :grin:

That's where you bought your custom Martin 015 from, right?

I should stay very far away from there unless a lottery win comes along.

That's where you bought your custom Martin 015 from, right?

I should stay very far away from there unless a lottery win comes along.

It is. They actually just ordered a couple of them with cutaways and a 1-3/4" width.

go to Gruhn's and see awesome vintage instruments.......good

go to Gruhn's and play some awesome vintage instruments.....much better

go to Gruhn's and play some awesome vintage instruments and JAMMING WITH VINCE GILL?......freakin' priceless!!

Last edited:
Back