Hot or Not? Too many for you to deal with...

wok

Unholy Meat Obelisk
Yeah yeah, I just pre-empted comments that your tiny hands and brains can't deal with 8-strings. For everyone else:

Never been a fan of PRS guitars, and this will never be within my reach, but my my this is beautiful :love:

http://www.prsguitars.com/gom_august/

Private Stock Guitar of the Month August 2016 - Custom 24 8-String

straight1.png

hero_large.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo2.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
Top Wood Curly Maple Top
Back Wood Swamp Ash
Scale Length 26.5"
Neck Wood Curly Maple
Neck Shape Wide Thin
Number of Frets 24
Fretboard Wood African Blackwood with Curly Maple Binding
Headstock Veneer African Blackwood with Curly Maple Binding
Inlays Mother of Pearl “J” Birds with Paua Centers
Headstock Inlay Mother of Pearl “J” Private Stock Eagle with Paua Center with a Mother of Pearl “August” Engraved Banner
Side Dots Paua
Pickups Seymour Duncan Omega Treble and Seymour Duncan Alpha Bass
Controls Volume and Tone with 5-Way Blade Selector Switch
Bridge PRS 8 String Plate-Style Bridge
Tuners Phase III Locking Tuners with African Blackwood Buttons
Strings D’Addario .010
Hardware Nickel
Nut Bone
Backplate Swamp Ash
Finish High Gloss Nitro
Color Frostbite Glow
Case Private Stock 20th Anniversary Black Comet Tolex
straight2.png

Cool! I've played a couple of 8-strings, and they were a blast! Unfortunately, Ernie Ball (one of the few companies that makes strings that are nickel, and stainless steel free [you may remember that I have major allergies to the chromium in stainless steel, and to nickel - they both can give me mega dermatitis) does not make 8-string Cobalt sets (I e-mailed Ernie Ball about this, and was told that maybe down the road they would offer 8-string Cobalt sets). So, for now, I've settled with another 7-string (I got my hands on another Squier Stratocaster VII), since Ernie Ball does make Cobalt 7-string sets.

Squier Stratocaster VII - Photo is of the one I had 3 years ago that I had to sell due to a money crunch (the new/old one hasn't arrived yet)

StratVII-March192013A_zps722cfd40.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! I've played a couple of 8-strings, and they were a blast! Unfortunately, Ernie Ball (one of the few companies that makes strings that are nickel, and stainless steel free [you may remember that I have major allergies to the chromium in stainless steel, and to nickel - they both can give me mega dermatitis) does not make 8-string Cobalt sets (I e-mailed Ernie Ball about this, and was told that maybe down the road they would offer 8-string Cobalt sets). So, for now, I've settled with another 7-string (I got my hands on another Squier Stratocaster VII).

That sucks! Are there no other companies that offer strjngs you need?

Ironically I dont actually have any use for an 8-string at the moment, even though I mainly play extreme doom. I actually prefer to downtune a regular 6-string to the point that it's almost unplayable rubber-band slack. Just gives that extra je-ne-sais-quoi perfect for ultra-deep doom riffs

The only thing on that guitar I like is the back of the body. Everything else can be thrown in the dumpster.

Due to some of the songs my cover band is looking at, with some arrangement work a 7 string could make sense to avoid any drop tuning. I presume the 8th string is heading even lower in terms of bass range rather than being another strong above the top E?

Not sure which is worse - the guitar or the music I'm sure is made with it.

Edit: Pardon, "music."

Back