Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Do you like his playing?

Like all players you hear we all end up with some type of opinion about their playing. Some are great and some not so great. Take Mr. Emmanuel, for me he is a great technician but his style is not one that I favor. I got a chance to hear his version of Classical Gas and it was over played for my taste.

I really prefer the original from Mason Williams.

Last edited:
Agree with you.

I find that his arrangements and his playing are dull and boring, regardless of technical prowess.

i really like Tommy and his arrangements.....however, i also realize that his arrangements are MEANT as "entertainment" for mostly non-players. there is supposed to be a little schtick to it and the "showing off" is part of that act.

i would never try to learn his stuff cuz it IS kinda over done, but some of his chord/melody work is fantacular.

Each to his own. I love TE especially songs like Halfway Home and Habba Na Habba. I have had the immense pleasure of seeing him very close up and personal in a workshop and for 3+ hours he was completely open to any and all questions and very kind and gratuitous about it as well. Most of his fingerstyle work I cannot even begin to do but he will remain a favourite of mine.

This close btw
IMG_0045_zps16c16b8b.jpg

I like Tommy quite a bit, but I agree with you about that particular piece...a little too much goin' on there.

Back