Tom Petty - Runnin' Down A Dream documentary

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
The Audience Network was running this last night several times. Good stuff!

I've always liked the music, but just never bought any of their albums because they weren't heavy enough.

Maybe I'll go get a Damn The Torpedoes cd :embarrassed:

Has any one else seen this or happen to catch it last night?

I bought it when it was released in 2007. Great story on TP's career and it comes with 30th Anniversary concert.

51x39tPRguL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Petty-Heartbreakers-Runnin-Dream/dp/B001FWRZ0U

Does that guy ever not play exactly the right thing? None more tasteful, this one goes to 11, etc.

"I always try not to overplay. I hate hearing records where the guy's playing all over the place. Basically, what I do is, I really listen to the song without playing. When Tom is showing a new song to us, I listen really closely to the spaces between the words and the chords."​

Reactions: Tig
Always a fan, but that doc made me buy the catalog. Such a killer band with and without Stan, who I liked. So many excellent tunes and Campbell is one of the best guitarists around for my money. It is, however, easy to forget how good he is given how his stuff just fits so perfectly in the tunes.

Does that guy ever not play exactly the right thing? None more tasteful, this one goes to 11, etc.

"I always try not to overplay. I hate hearing records where the guy's playing all over the place. Basically, what I do is, I really listen to the song without playing. When Tom is showing a new song to us, I listen really closely to the spaces between the words and the chords."​

That is why he has become an influence for me. Similar to Steve Cropper, but Campbell has more flash and a great sense of melody.

I definitely have tons of respect for that attitude. Something I try to apply to pretty much everything I do.
There's a time for playing/overplaying but not at the expense of the songs vital ingredient.

Campbell can play "all over the place" when the song calls for it, too.

The Heartbreaker's origin story is pretty inspiring. That they'd be an almost instantly successful bar band wasn't a surprise.

I've given Hypnotic Eye a few more listens and I'm really digging it. That I want to hear a particular handful of songs again is always a good sign. I really like "Fault Lines":

Reactions: Tig
I have now watched about 3/4 of the film. (Really? Four fucking hours?) I have really enjoyed it, especially the Wilbury's section. What really grabbed me, though, was the part about the Wildflowers album. What I heard of the title song so impressed me I went right to Amazon to buy it. $4.99 including the CD and an instant download. :hippie:

Last edited:
I have now watched about 3/4 of the film. (Really? Four fucking hours?) I have really enjoyed it, especially the Wilbury's section. What really grabbed me, though, was the part about the Wildflowers album. What I heard of the title song so impressed me I went right to Amazon to buy it. $4.99 including the CD and an instant download. :hippie:

I haven't listen to it for a while, but it is a great album.

Back