Tom Paxton - Ressurection Road

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Tom Paxton is a folk singer/songwriter from the folk scare era of the 50s and 60s; he wrote songs like Rambling Boy, Last Thing On My Mind, The Marvelous Toy; he also wrote a lot of political songs that he called "short shelf-life songs" such as What Did You Learn in School Today and Changing My Name to Chrysler. Lat year I saw that he had a kickstarter campaign to do a new album. I donated enough to get an autographed copy.

It came in the mail yesterday and I am quite enjoying it. There are some songs that are kind of country/bluegrass, some folky stuff, one that comes close to rock. There are some songs that look back (to be expected in your 70's), some that are funny, like The Battle of the Sexes. He does a song with John Prine, and the title song with Janis Ian. He also does a tribute to Dave VonRonk. All in all, it is a great CD. You should check it out.

I saw Paxton in concert about a month ago. A friend bought me a ticket. Paxton's singing voice is still a beautiful thing to hear. He's one of those guys who completely owns the room in concert. Lots of between song stories. Even some banter in mid-song. His comedic timing is fantastic. Those kinds of skills you'd expect a guy to acquire after 60 years of shows. This was billed as his last West Coast tour and the room was all sold out. Glad I finally got to see him.

I saw him in concert back in the 80's and had a chance to talk briefly and shake his hand. Last Thing on My Mind is a song I still do in linger sets where I pull out a cover tune or so.

I just realized that the CD doesn't become available until March 10th. Now I really feel special.

Back