WTF: TN House and Senate Both Vote to Outlaw Flash Mobs

jaxn slim

Your Worst Nightmare
I haven't seen any articles yet, but a friend of mine who works at the legislature just informed me that the bill has passed in both houses. All the bill needs now is the governor's approval. He is mostly a reasonable guy, so I am hoping he will veto it.

I believe that no matter where on the political spectrum you stand, we can all agree that this is absurd and a disgusting blow to the right to free speech. I'm so embarrassed to live in Tennessee right now.

For what reason?

These things happen and go so quickly, though, that I wonder what they could actually do about it. Seems like a bunch of lawmakers nervous that people might actually want to exercise their rights.

Probably the only flash mob that'll get busted is the group of kids gathering to sing carols at the friggin mall. :facepalm:

Yeah, those are a couple of weird laws all right.

I predict the flash mob one will have a very difficult time surviving the inevitable court challenges.

Seriously, why would you ban bus service?
Oklahoma City has bus service and, for the most part, it's fairly useless. The routes are very limited and so are times but it's a start.
What was the argument against this? Am I missing something or is it just money?
We will still have normal buses, but there were plans in the works for a rapid bus transit system in Nashville, which would be like a cheaper alternative to a light rail. It was somewhat controversial because it would require dedicated lanes in existing roadways. My understanding is that there was a lot of money against it, primarily coming from the auto and energy (oil/gas) industries.

I'll go back to Texas where the politics make complete sense. rolleyes1:facepalm:

:spit:

Well howdy, neighbor! (hic)
RickPerry.png

We will still have normal buses, but there were plans in the works for a rapid bus transit system in Nashville, which would be like a cheaper alternative to a light rail. It was somewhat controversial because it would require dedicated lanes in existing roadways. My understanding is that there was a lot of money against it, primarily coming from the auto and energy (oil/gas) industries.

Reminds me of General Motors and Standard Oil teaming up back in the day to get rid of trolley services everywhere.
My home town had a great trolley service as far back as the 1930s that covered a big part of the city. It was ripped out to use busses. The bus service ended a few years later and there hasn't been public transport there since.

I was reading up on that. Apparently the first amendment prevents Congress from blocking peaceful assembly. I wonder how that would apply to state legislatures. I'm no lawyer.

I'm pretty sure the first amendment trumps state law. The debate will be whether a flash mob is legitimate "speech." Since we've already determined burning a flag is protected speech, it'd be a stretch to say this isn't.
But I don't have any lobbyists, so...

Reminds me of General Motors and Standard Oil teaming up back in the day to get rid of trolley services everywhere.
My home town had a great trolley service as far back as the 1930s that covered a big part of the city. It was ripped out to use busses. The bus service ended a few years later and there hasn't been public transport there since.
We learned about that in school. Very sad. And somewhat enraging.
There are old photos I see around town of the Nashville trolleys. Long gone now. It's a shame.

Back