Tipping for counter service.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Who here tips for counter service? I generally don’t do more than occasionally toss my change in the jar. I don’t like tipping for counter service because I think it just encourages businesses to pay low wages.

define "counter service". if i sit at the bar (counter) i'll tip for each beer.

if i call in an order and go in and pick it up and all the wait person does is ring me up and hand be the bag, then they'll get a buck.

I'm going to start carrying my jar into businesses and asking for my tip for shopping at your establishment.

So you don't tip people who are already making a low wage because it's unfair they make a low wage. That makes sense. :messedup:

It depends on the place.

A mom and pop pizza pick up place. Sure. I'll even add a tip when I pay with a debit card. The idea being that the whole crew shares in the tips. At least, that's how it is at my local pizza joint.

At a chain? No. Most don't even allow it. For those that do, it feels awkward. I'm not sure why, but it does.

I almost always tip. Chain, mom & pop, pizza, Chinese.

Basically, I hope that whoever prepared the food gets a little something out of my tip.

Now, I don't tip 20% for pickup, but I'll normally tack on a few bucks extra.

It depends on the place.

A mom and pop pizza pick up place. Sure. I'll even add a tip when I pay with a debit card. The idea being that the whole crew shares in the tips. At least, that's how it is at my local pizza joint.

At a chain? No. Most don't even allow it. For those that do, it feels awkward. I'm not sure why, but it does.
Pretty much this...

Bars and coffee shops, sure. For food pickup only... maybe if I'm paying cash.

Food pick up..maybe a buck or two if she's hot. Anywhere else that has actual service I tip really well unless they've done something egregious.

Food pick up..maybe a buck or two if she's hot. Anywhere else that has actual service I tip really well unless they've done something egregious.
WOW ! That was a beer induced post. I meant to say " If she's haute".
Sorry for the innuendo in the original post.

If they have a tip jar out, I'll toss in a couple bucks. Having worked on the other side of the counter, I know how much it is appreciated.

Back