Thoughts on Laney Cub 10?

:Wave:

I had one briefly a couple of years back. For the price, it's not bad - 6V6 powered and has a bit of a Fender vibe. Gets fairly loud for a little box, and built pretty solidly. Didn't have it long enough to try, but the usual "change the tubes and the speaker and it makes a good amp even better" crowd is out there. (Nothing wrong with the amp, just not what I was looking for at the time).

You can alternatively get the "house" version of the Cub12 (the 15-watt, 12" EL84-powered Cub) through Monoprice for less than the cost of a new Cub10. They also sell a "house" version of the Cub8 (5 watt, 8" speaker) for just a bit over $100.

FWIW, I like the sound from the 12 better than the 10. YMMV.

Hi Scott

So between the two of us I think we have had just about everything out there. :embarrassed:hmy: I had a Cub 12 head, and sent it back over some minute flaw. It is one amp I wish I had back. The 6V6 is a little bit different tone than the EL84. I had not hear of Monoprice before. Pretty interesting. I actually got my Tech 21 Trademark 30 out of moth balls, and I had forgotten how nice that can sound - Tweed, British, Crunch, Marshall, Vox - but a person needs to have patience as a small tweak can have big impact on tone. Kind of hoping the Trademark 30 will quell my GAS - but the Monoprice is interesting.

Thanks for weighing in.

- w

Yeah, I'm getting back into small tube amps myself, and the Cubs have been in the team photo. Right now I have a Fender Champion 600 (like it) and a Blackstar HT-1 (like it a bit less). I have gas for a small Vox again rolleyes1 , so an AC4C1 is back on the radar, so the Blackstar will probably be going back. I have already replaced the stock 12AX7, and have some new grill cloth. I'm gonna do the 6V6 and the speaker, and then leave it alone. The Monoprice Cubs, though, are very tempting at the price.

OK Since we are doing show and tell. I have the Bugera G5 head (Love it), the SS Vox Mini 5 Rhythm (like it), and a Kustom Defender 15 head (Love it). Since the Defender is also EL84's (like the Laney Cub 12, and the Monoprice 15 for that matter) I am leaning toward different tubes (6V6, or other).

For small amps I really recommend the G5 for modern tones, the Defender 15 for not so high gain stuff. The Defender is just juicy - I love it.

My local GC had some sort of Laney Cub for sale used last time I was in there.

Edit: Just looked up their used inventory, I don't see it.

I'm leaning away from the Cub 8. The couple youtube's I found on the Cub 8 - IDK - it just doesn't sound that good to me. I mean you could turn around and use it as a low watt head and plug it into a stack, but I have the G5, and Defender 15 for that. Which leaves the Cub 10, or Cub 12r, or Monoprice 15W Combo. I see the 10% discount for Monoprice ends today. Hmmm...

UPDATE: Ordered the Monoprice 15 W Combo. I was on the fence, but saw it had the same < 1 W input just like the Laney Cub 12R. I have to believe this is an exact clone of the Cub 12R. I guess I will know when it arrives this week.

Last edited:
Back