Thoughts on computer-based recording - be gentle w/me, it's my first time

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
Many, many years ago, I hung around some very serious studios. Major label artists, names you'd recognize, etc. etc. etc. I did no engineering or producing -- I was there as a project manager, and a good pair of ears. Some of my friends are very talented producers.

Oddly enough, the one type of session that I sat in on and was able to contribute to were mastering sessions. I 'got' it immediately, and was able to work with a few folks on their Macs to come up with some nice recordings. This was the early 90's.

Fast forward to mid life, and I never have been able to figure out recording on a computer. In the meantime, I have what I'd call a low-end pro-sumer pure analog studio:
TASCAM DP-24
A very few processors (god bless BBE Sonic Stomp)
Some OK mics (NT-1, SM57's, VinJet, etc.)

And that works just fine; I run my drums off an iPad (a few different apps), have a Kaossilator II for looping, and play the rest as live takes. I'm quite happy with the results until ....

... time for mastering. I mix down to final in Audacity now, and while it's OK, I still struggle with the interface. I understand the frequency-response display, it's the track-activations and etc. that tend to frustrate me.

So here's my statement, and follow up question. I clearly have some sort of personal learning challenge with computer-based recording. Given that I have a fine alternative now, is it worth my while to try (once again) to learn? How would you suggest that to someone who lives in a sparsely populated area and doesn't have a lot of free time or disposable income?

I've felt like the kid with the nose to the glass of the candy store for 15 years now.

Back