Thoughts on 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade

This would be ideal.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5242927877.html

That's the cleanest, lowest mileage TJ I've seen. We're going to be an hour away from there later this week, and technically, I could afford it. I just don't know if I'm willing to pay that much.

00z0z_97pTRy71JhM_600x450.jpg

Man, 45K miles. That's pretty great right there. And not an automatic. And not enough time for rust problems most likely.

If you can swing it, it looks great.

Man, 45K miles. That's pretty great right there. And not an automatic. And not enough time for rust problems most likely.

If you can swing it, it looks great.

From the one picture, it does look perfect. And it seems to be bone stock, so I wouldn't have to worry about somebody else's mods making it a bear to drive.

The biggest problem is that if I were to buy it, between the selling price, the 5% tax I'd have to pay to get it registered in WV, and the insurance, it would pretty much wipe out my savings and leave me with not much left for any repairs it might need. Also, the ad doesn't mention A/C, so it probably doesn't have it. I may text the guy today and ask a few questions. Mrs. P already said if I want to go look at it, she's on board, though it is above what we agreed we'd like to pay. I'd be much more willing to pay $11,500 for that with 45,000 miles on it than I would be to pay $9000 for one with 150,000+ miles on it, though.

I dunno.
If it has the CD, Cruise Control package, I'd be willing to bet it has AC.

That is NOT a girl Jeep.
:wink:

This would be ideal.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5242927877.html

That's the cleanest, lowest mileage TJ I've seen. We're going to be an hour away from there later this week, and technically, I could afford it. I just don't know if I'm willing to pay that much.

I am firmly in the camp of if you can afford it, you buy what you want.

Making a "well I wanted a wrangler but I wont pay what they are worth so I bought this sorta jeep like thing that isn't what I want but the price was right" purchase doesn't make any sense. It might wind up being a vehicle that you end up liking but it's never going to be the jeep you wanted in the first place.

If you were to get the jeep you actually want, the price discomfort will be quickly forgotten as you rack up the miles doing jeepy lifestyle things.

I am firmly in the camp of if you can afford it, you buy what you want.

Making a "well I wanted a wrangler but I wont pay what they are worth so I bought this sorta jeep like thing that isn't what I want but the price was right" purchase doesn't make any sense. It might wind up being a vehicle that you end up liking but it's never going to be the jeep you wanted in the first place.

If you were to get the jeep you actually want, the price discomfort will be quickly forgotten as you rack up the miles doing jeepy lifestyle things.

I agree. I'm not buying anything except what I really, really want, and that is either a TJ with the 4.0 and preferably a manual transmission (though I'd still settle for an automatic), or just bite the bullet and buy a brand spanking new Wrangler (though I'd prefer the TJ just for aesthetics).

I texted the guy. He replied within just a few minutes. It does have A/C, so that's a plus. He said there were absolutely no issues and he would drive it anywhere. I told him I'd be in the area on Thursday and Friday, so we'll see if he's willing to meet me.

I didn't ask him if he was flexible on the price, but I figure if it's as good as it looks, I'll maybe offer him $10,000 as a low ball and see if he's willing to meet in the middle.

If I get it, it'll have to stay as-is while I build the savings back up. I'd also sell the Ranger (might be able to get $3000 or so for it).

It's a big decision, and I'm excited, though I haven't even seen the Jeep in person yet. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
I just talked to the guy for about 20 minutes.

He's the second owner of the Jeep. Traded a 2015 Jeep for the 2001 + cash to the original owner, who is a friend of his. He says he knows the entire history of the Jeep. It has been towed a little by the previous owner, but he said he'd be surprised if it had more than 5000 towing miles on it, since the original owner just towed it from Richmond, VA to Duck, NC a couple of times a year.

It's rained over 10" in Richmond over the last week, and the Jeep was parked outside the whole time. Not a single leak in the roof, which is good.

He said he guaranteed that I wouldn't be disappointed. He also said he'd take $11,000, but nothing less.

I'm going to look at it either tomorrow or Friday. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Cool! I'll meet up with you in Moab one of these days and we'll hit the trails. It's about halfway between, right?
:embarrassed:

Pretty darn close.....

Let me know if you do this. I'll drive over. I will sit in the passenger seat and have the snot scared out of me......

Cool! I'll meet up with you in Moab one of these days and we'll hit the trails. It's about halfway between, right?

:embarrassed:

Part of the reason I want a Jeep so badly is that we want to take an extended vacation (meaning 2 weeks or so) and actually drive it to Moab rather than renting a Jeep once we get there.

Of course, If I do buy this one, it's going to take a while to save up enough money to actually do a road trip to Moab. Probably not until 2017. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Life is too short to settle on something you really don't want.

Fucking go for it!

You can always pimp it out a little bit at a time.

Life is too short to settle on something you really don't want.

Fucking go for it!

You can always pimp it out a little bit at a time.

That's what I'd have to do. Leave it stock for now, build the savings back up, then do a lift and new wheels and tires.

I really didn't want to spend that much, but how often will a great condition TJ with 45k miles pop up?

Not often.

Pretty darn close.....

Let me know if you do this. I'll drive over. I will sit in the passenger seat and have the snot scared out of me......

You are invited down anytime Dave!

Actually, when i get my rig all built like I want it, I'd like to try some Colorado trails too!

If I do end up with this Jeep, and get it built before it rusts away, I can see a lot of long painful road trips in my future. :embarrassed:

Just met the guy and drove the Jeep. I'm going to keep looking.

It had the usual TJ rust on the rear of the frame, the dif seals were weeping, and the rear pinion seal was leaking.

It just didn't seem like it was $11k worth of Jeep.

Back