Dig it! Thomann Musikerflohmarkt Gear Scores (1 bigtime)

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
So, I went today to the flea market that Thomann puts on annually to see what I could get. We woke at 5 AM because we wanted to be some of the first in the door and timed it just right. Here's a shot from us waiting to get in.

IMG_20170722_071338.jpg

As you can see, we were only about 20 people back. As we were waiting I went to the bay doors and looked in to see a rack of Epiphones waiting there with a few Less Paul Customs so I knew where to go right away.

As we entered we headed straight over to that area and got detoured because of the crazy way they set up the aisles. As we were headed to the Epi's my wife (no real guitar brand knowledge) looked down and said "Eww!" I looked down and saw this....

IMG_20170722_112730.jpg

Yes, a Chapman ML1 Pro with case for 190€. I picked it up, looked it over and could not find a flaw. Look down the neck, nice, level, straight to my eye. Played it, flawless....Everyone should know I just play cheap ass guitars religiously, so this was an epiphany. So I read the labels, one says"crack in top veneer" The other says "warped neck". I found the crack, but it only looks like a small scratch,( I'll call it relicing) but bugger me, I can't find where this neck has a flaw. So we closed the case and took it.

Went around to the Epiphones and I picked one up and looked down the fretboard, happy, all else seemed in order on the front so I figured it might be electronic problems. Custom Pro means coil taps are installed and "better" pickups. At 170 instead of 570 I was feeling pretty happy.

IMG_20170722_112655.jpg

IMG_20170722_112703.jpg

So I hand it off to my wife to carry around while we shopped some more. I had a Harley Benton fretless jazz bass that we almost snagged for 80, but we realised we were at our cash limit and couldn't pay with a card.

There were plenty of Harley Bentons to be had for a song, but I really wanted something a step up.

When we paid and got out to the car I took a better look at the Epi and was shocked to see this...

IMG_20170722_123300.jpg

Just ignore the messy table in the background :). So a petty nasty crack/break along the scarf joint which I probably should fix somehow. It does tune up to pitch, plays well, nice action, easily my favourite LP type that I own at the moment (honeymoon). But I know it's not healthy or aesthetic to keep it that way.

So a sibling shot.

IMG_20170722_113002.jpg

Specs on the Chappers are Mahogany body and neck, ebony board, stainless frets, graphite nut, SD JB Jr, SL1, Hot Rails, 2 point trem with a set neck.

All in all, if I had gotten only the Chapman for 350 I'd have been happy.

So it's a HNGD for me even with that bad Epi neck crack.

Get some decent Titebond wood glue...wax the back of the neck so the glue doesn't stick to it...water it down to thin it out and flood the crack with it, then clamp it down and leave it alone for a couple days...don't wipe the squeeze out until it drys, it will come off easier if it doesn't get smeared all over the finish...

FWIW, I briefly tried the Chapman ML-3 Traditional (Tele) at Riff City a couple months ago, and was really impressed with the neck feel - nice and wide, and right about a '60s-type profile. Gonna order me one of the white MII models in the next few months.

Never mind the guitars, but fidget spinners and Bitburger 0.0%? :lol:

Good score btw :thu:

Is the neck crack a concern? Is it just a finish crack?

Never mind the guitars, but fidget spinners and Bitburger 0.0%? :lol:

Good score btw :thu:

Is the neck crack a concern? Is it just a finish crack?
Pancreas had told me in no uncertain terms that alcohol is a "no can do", unfortunately it's the cross I must bear these days....:) and that red fidget is the bomb.

The neck crack is a concern, I can feel it, and if I push on the headstock you can see it widen a bit. I'll exploit that fact when I follow Jello's advice. It well be a while though. Don't want to flip out the wife just yet. As for now, it sounds and plays nice enough and holds it's tuning. I just wish I would have found one with a different issue, but I guess I like learning. There's a reason I feel confident with other issues, is because I've always gotten them sorted out...

Reactions: wok
Pancreas had told me in no uncertain terms that alcohol is a "no can do", unfortunately it's the cross I must bear these days....:) and that red fidget is the bomb.

On a serious note, how is that Bitburger? I only found 1 alcohol free beer I like ( Brewdog Nanny State).

You should try Radler :love:
Oh yeah, I do quote often. I love mixing beer. Something I tried at a brauhaus and do once in a while is a Weissbier with banana nectar. Sounds gross and it's nothing to get drunk on, but it is definitely tasty.

I will 2nd the Titebond advice. Used that method a looong time ago on a Gibson Sonex 180 that had the headstock cracked through, and it held up nicely for years after. Were I to add any advice, it would be to work like the Dickens to ensure that you clamp the glue job appropriately.

Back