This week we will be announcing the new band Name and lineup....

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
A few weeks ago our drummer up and quit the band unexpectedly. Ironically he was most frustrated with how long our demo was taking to record, while the keyboard player and I were spending hours trying to work around his inconsistent tempos (and forget about playing to a click :embarrassed: )

So a few days later we found some great musicians that we had worked with before when Alligator Blackbird was one of the biggest bands in the region. Once the ex-drummer found out I think he was mad that we didn't beg him to come back or something... he started calling around trying to steal the 15 or so gigs already booked for this year out from under us and steal the band name (which I own the web domain and facebook).

After a couple great practices with the new lineup, we decided it was better to move on from the old name and re-brand the new lineup. (of course we're not letting the drummer have it either, I'll just redirect it to the new page and rebrand the old facebook page and keep the existing fans).

The bass player and I are original Sandbar Bum members, last year we gained the Keyboard/Trumpet player when Alligator Blackbird broke up, and now we're adding ABB's bass player as a guitar/keys/utility percussion player and ABB's percussion player has a full kit PLUS some hand percussion for our lineup... and I just dropped this teaser....

17492312_739722222851537_2908053114965626768_o.jpg

Well Facebook is slowing down the conversion process.... I posted the new images but i have to wait for the name change of the page to be "approved" by Facebook. It's probably a security feature to prevent hackers from rebranding a page.

Can't see it with my spotty connection here at work. Please tell me you didn't steal "Dodgy Kebab" out from under me.

Well - catchier than Alligator Sandbar Bums..... :embarrassed:

Seriously though - having heard some of the ABB videos you guys just stepped up in quality about two steps (and you were good before). Congrats! You are going to kick some seriously groovin' ass.

Of course we've gained and lost some fans on the face book.... I figured some of the ex-drummer's friends would drop off, but the phone has started ringing... added (at least) 3 more shows to this year's schedule today.

Tonight is our debut as a 5 piece. We still haven't 100% decided on how we will line up on the stage. Traditionally, I've always been on the far left (facing out to crowd) but it might be weird to put the bass player in the middle and the other guitar and keys on the far side.

I'm thinking that the bass player should go off my left shoulder... the drummer behind my right shoulder, then the second guitarist next to drums (for when he grabs hand percussion) but between drummer and keyboard player (so keyboard player can give him chord changes if necessary as he's had the least amount of practice time with us.)

Thoughts?

My only thought is that I personally might consider switching the keys with the bass....you wouldn't have to compete with another moving target for stage space. At least the keys are stationary. Although they take up more real estate.

The keyboard player suggested that we line up Keys, Bass, Drums in back then Me and the other Guitarist in front which will work on a flat stage. If there's a riser, then maybe we do the same thing but swap the bass and drums.

That's not a bad idea...
I'm assuming that as a 5 piece there is not a dedicated singer? In other words you either share singing duties or the singer also plays an instrument?

Back