This Should Be A GPOD

Rick 381

Boob Enthusiast
nwxeun56ljepz9bdni3e.jpg

ggijxhjx8dzfcsfnhpbc.jpg

szbcvun66uxjxxuqsz9p.jpg

h1izqorh8ol3o5tlloha.jpg

This is the first model of this new design a unique 3 piece body that uses a quartersawn cherrywood center block with yellow birch wings. I am very pleased with its playability. It has a solid full weight at 9 lbs 4 oz without being too heavy. It just feels great and very solid to play and hold and has a lot of sustain and resonance. It holds tune like any great guitar should and is just a real solid little axe. I really couldn't be happier with it. The quarter pound pickup in the bridge is very powerful and full sounding (p-90 like, almost humbucker like but sharper) while switching to the lipstick neck pickup is a bit more mellow and jangley. The two pickups blend together very nicely and give a bit of a tele reminiscent tone. Both pickups are in the higher output spectrum and suit each other nicely to give a tele sort of dynamic in relation to each other with the bridge pickup rocking hard and the neck pickup being a bit more mellow. It is certainly more full and thick sounding of a guitar than your average Tele though. The best thing to do to get an idea of it's sound is probably to watch the video demo I will put up.

The full carved chambered maple neck is smoothly finished with a satin thin polyurethane/oil blend. This neck chambering reduces a little weight and enhances tone.

I have very high standards for my guitars and offer boutique small shop completely unique instruments. If you are not fully satisfied with the guitar upon purchase, you may return it for a full refund minus original shipping cost.

I don't avoid small knots and unusual figuring in the hardwoods that I use. I embrace these types of natural formation and incorporate them into my building. A glance through the photo gallery will show some of these small unique spots. I enjoy the rustic quality that they add to a piece of work.

The guitar is roughly the size of a Gibson Les Paul. About 13" width at the lower bout.

Includes brand new hardshell case and will be shipped fully insured for the purchase amount.

Body: 3 Piece Solid body. 4" quartersawn cherrywood centerblock with Yellow Birch
wings. Body top has an arm contour.
Neck: Maple. Chambered internal cavities.
Fretboard: Cherrywood - 22 fret
Neck Carve: Mildly Fat 59' C profile .845" at the first fret tapered up to .955" at the
12th fret.
Electronics: 1 Volume Control, 1 Tone Control, 3 way selector switch
500K Alpha Pots.
Bridge: Gotoh Hardtail. String through body with large handmade string plate in
back.
Nut Width/Material: 1 11/16" Hand carved bone.
Scale Length: 24.9"
Finish: Thin hand rubbed polyurethane/oil blend. Satin.
Tuning Keys: Vintage Style Wilkinson
Pickups:Seymour Duncan SSL-4 Quarter Pound in bridge
Seymour Duncan SLS-1 Lipstick Tube in neck
Pickguard: Single ply black vinyl
Inlay: Black block inlay
Fretwire: Medium/Medium
Truss Rod: Double action
Neck to Body Joint: Set Neck
Weight: 9 lbs 4 oz

Product Specs
Condition:
Mint
Make:
Gronlund Guitars
Model:
Solid Body
Categories:
Solid Body
Made In:
United States
$900 + $70 shipping

I just don’t understand this guitar. I understand all of the components and design elements, but not why anybody would combine them like this. I’m not sure if that means this is just an awful guitar or if the maker has produced some great new thing that I won’t understand until it shows up in a magazine.

Chambered neck? Sounds like a structural weakness and an accident waiting to happen. Plus it's not appealing to my tastes at all. Pass.

The headstock looks like Fender were halfway during cutting and didn't finish it

The horrid headstock, the block inlays and the crooked pickup that doesn't match the angle of anything else on the guitar make me want to smash it.

I haven't ever tried to build a guitar from scratch. But I did build cabinets with my father my whole youth. So I could say with some certainty that I could make a better looking guitar than this. Haven't played it to judge the playability. Price is nice though.

Chambered neck? Sounds like a structural weakness and an accident waiting to happen.

IIRC chambered necks are typically reinforced against breakage.

How does neck chambering enhance tone?

They fill the chambers with snake oil.

Seriously, the point of neck chambering is weight relief. Claiming it enhances tone is an insult to potential buyers.

Last edited:
It's terrible, and poorly executed. The inlays aren't even the same width, for starters. For $900, I would like the builder to find that tree's family and formally apologize.

Back