This makes me feel funny in my daddy parts.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Magic words: "IMS bearing and clutch recently done."

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/654210376/overview/

11.jpg

I did a bit of reading on the IMS issues with these cars back when I was looking at them. In a nutshell, my observation is the whole IMS problem isn't really as bad as the internet makes it out to be. If you do have an issue, it can be a real bummer, as it can go without warning, and if it does, you're looking at catastrophic damage. That being said, taking care of the car and normal maintenance usually kept things in check. Those engines were designed and built to be run at high rpms, and that's exactly what you should do with them, within reason, of course. The interwebz can bring out the worst in anything, and make things out to be much more common than they really are. Iirc, terminal IMS problems were less than 10%. Someone set me straight if I'm wrong about this.

That's one beeeoootiful ride.

Learned estimates on IMS failure are 1-5% of 996s (3.4s were more often victims than 3.6s) and early Boxsters . Like most every problem in life, you rarely hear from people who DON'T have the same problem when looking for it. BTW...Listing is gone. Did dmn23 have a HNCD?

Learned estimates on IMS failure are 1-5% of 996s (3.4s were more often victims than 3.6s) and early Boxsters . Like most every problem in life, you rarely hear from people who DON'T have the same problem when looking for it. BTW...Listing is gone. Did dmn23 have a HNCD?

I'm teetering right now but I'll almost certainly come to my senses. But that's a gorgeous 996.

Back