This isn't about the person, but Taylor Swift and her people are idiots...

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
Per this article they're filing for trademarks of common phrases. You can't own stuff like this and in turn prevent the use by other folks. None of these are even original at all, let alone to her. These aren't ad/marketing slogans, they're a part of the common vernacular of at least the U.S., if not most every English speaking country.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...his-sick-beat-and-other-1989-phrases-20150128

Seriously, despite my lack of use for her this isn't actually about her. I would call this assinine (that's right I used the incorrect double S spelling) action and behavior no matter who they were. Shit like this has to stop. Let's try to own EVERYTHING so we can be only folks to make money from it. Fuckwads.

They may be idiots but they must be doing something right. Even her cat is famous.

Not in my life.

But fame doesn't mean shit to me. Further, the idea that by virtue of said fame that you can claim ownership to anything other than a complete original work shows how out of control these people are. How much more money do Swift and her people need? If they want more money, release another album, add tour dates, etc., but don't co-opt the common tongue and claim the right exclusive financial benefit from it. These are things people say to almost everyday and the sick beats thing is from hip hop culture. Sean Combs should release shirts and the like from his clothing lines with all of these phrases just to say fuck you to these twits.

It's total bullshit. I'd be just as angry were it Peter Gabriel or any other artist I love. This is the type of thing Colbert would jump on were he still doing the Report. He'd make it funny and the folks from that show would likely go about filing for trademarks on phrases from other songs of "hers" that have been spoken for decades and in countless other songs.

Paris Hilton tried that with "that's hot" ...the trademark office told her to get bent...

...they will probably tell Swift the same thing...

Maybe they can copyright tap water so we all have to pay a royalty to Taylor Swift when we drink some, do laundry, bathe, wash dishes, water our plants, cook pasta/rice, etc.

Paris Hilton tried that with "that's hot" ...the trademark office told her to get bent...

...they will probably tell Swift the same thing...

That's what I figure as well, but the stupidity of even trying it is mind blowing. More likely, they knew it was a long shot, but thought that since it's used in an original song they might be able to get away with it. And of course the notion of a "sick beat" never caught on until a 20-something manufactured country chick decided to shock the world by going pop is well...

Before reading the first few sentences of this article I used to talk about diseased rhythms or unwell temps with my peeps, but now I realize how silly I sounded. She's really got something there! Genius!

Fame and money are nice while they last, but power is where it's at.
House-Of-Cards-Quotes-Power-05.png

This is the corporate recording industry, where music is a product and musicians are a commodity.

Power to the people. :hippie:

Yeah, but look at it this way...they got a bunch of middle aged white guys who are not remotely considered her audience talking about her...cheap publicity...

The issue is much bigger than her. It's about corporate and marketing greed. Our need to own anything we can and milk its value. As I stated, I would have started this thread were it Derek Trucks, the Avett Brothers, JK Rowling, Neil Gaiman, Louis CK, etc. The idea and motivation are the sticking points, not Swift.

Further, I don't think any of use are going to spend any money on her or her related products as a result of this. For her people this is worthless publicity (be it good or bad) because it won't translate into $$$.

Further, I don't think any of use are going to spend any money on her or her related products as a result of this. For her people this is worthless publicity (be it good or bad) because it won't translate into $$$.
They say that even bad publicity is publicity, and I am sure the marketing aces are pleased that her name is climbing the search ratings due to this. Q scores and all that stuff.

Back