This is kind of awesome

Many 12-string recordings are multi-tracked with one standard-tuned guitar and one Nashville-tuned guitar (tuned the same way as the octave strings on a 12 string). This is to compensate for tuning hassles with 12 string guitars.

But played live, they just use a 12-string.

For me, 12-strings and humbuckers are just too muddy, single coils retain more clarity.

I wonder if it you bought it and swapped out the bridge and nut for six string (keeping the originals of course) if it would bring the value down substantially if you then restored them before re-sale.

That's cool!
I have one of the ugliest electric 12-strings ever.
w4he99zddomjhr8th6il.jpg

Not my pic, and doesn't do justice to the metallic sparkle of the finish.

I wonder if it you bought it and swapped out the bridge and nut for six string (keeping the originals of course) if it would bring the value down substantially if you then restored them before re-sale.

Probably not. And prospective buyers wouldn’t need to be told. But it would cost a lot less to just buy an old six-string PRS without the rock star provenance.

Probably not. And prospective buyers wouldn’t need to be told. But it would cost a lot less to just buy an old six-string PRS without the rock star provenance.

Oh yeah, I know. I'm just kinda blue skying here. I figure if you were wealthy enough to buy that thing (which I think is just about the coolest looking PRS ever made) but you would rather it be a six instead of a twelve what impact would it have on the value. Then again if you're buying a guitar for what a Jag F-Type costs I guess you wouldn't really care so much about it's re-sale value. :grin:

A '78 PRS huh? That must have been one of the very early offerings from PRS. I thought they weren't rolling until the 80s. :shrug:

Paul was hand building in the late '70s. Heart, Santana, Nugent, DiMeola, and others were some of the first people to play his guitars. The part that was confusing me was the bird inlays, I thought they came in the '80s. It turns out I was wrong:

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/the_story_of_the_prs_bird_inlays

1976 guitar built for Peter Frampton:

BirdStory(1200)PeterFrampton.jpg

Back