This is all Chad's fault

There should be a massive version where the knobs are controlled by three expression pedals. Oscillation is cool, but it’s way cooler when you’re playing a drone.

IMG_0208.JPG

3 delays.

:facepalm:

Wow! You could totally pull off "Bela Lugosi's Dead" with that thing!!

Embrace your inner Goth! You don't know the power of the Dark Side!

The DE7 has convinced me to sell my Prisoner and DMB. The "delay" sound is what I wanted from the BOSS DD pedals. And the "echo" sound is not only the best "analog" delay I've heard. It's really easy to dial in, and it oscillates almost effortlessly. I don't miss the modulation the others have. And it complements the Echorec wonderfully.

My big issue with DE-7's, is that the dry signal gets "grainy" when the effect is on. That was a deal breaker, I tried two of them.

My big issue with DE-7's, is that the dry signal gets "grainy" when the effect is on. That was a deal breaker, I tried two of them.

I've noticed that. I think it's a great complementary delay to the Echorec, but I'm not sure it would be my main delay.

I spent some time A/Bing the oscillation on the DE7 and the DMB last night. The DMB's oscillation sounds like what the DE7 in "delay" mode would sound like if it could oscillate (it only oscillates in "echo" mode). In other words, it sounds like the DMB doesn't really like to self oscillate. There's nothing that feels natural about it. Additionally, it's very difficult to control the repeats so they don't blow up your speaker. There's a very fine line between controlled and out of control and it's hard to find that balance. OTOH, you can put a square wave on the repeats and get the pitches to cycle up and down. So I think there's more dialing in to do. But I like the DE7 better.

Got to spend a little more time with delays last night. Ended up with only the DMB on my "big" board. And I figured out the big difference in sound between it and the Prisoner. The DMB is designed to get weird. Using it as a regular old delay is kinda boring. But it's really good at that classic DMM sound (even if TGP says no).

About 10 years ago, I replaced my big box DMM with the Jacques Prisoner. The Prisoner was cleaner sounding, which is what I wanted. The DMM self distorted, huge, and very soupy. It probably needed a realignment. And the Prisoner served me very well for years until I bought the Echorec.

A few years ago I got the DMB as a present. It's a cool delay that does a whole buncha stuff none of my other delays do. Mostly the weird stuff. But for a basic delay tone, it's still the closest to the Prisoner. The DMB will oscillate, but it's not that pretty self oscillation the DE-7 does. It's uncontrollable, increasing in loudness, destroying your speakers oscillation. So you've got to watch that feedback control.

The big difference between the DMB and the Prisoner is the Prisoner won't self oscillate no matter what. And because of that when you turn up the repeats, you can hear how the they sound "shunted". That's not a bad thing. It's what's keeping the delay from running away from itself. Keep the delay time where you want, and the feedback and level controls around 2 o'clock, and it's a beautiful, classic modulated delay. But with the feedback dimed, you can hear how it's trying to control that oscillation.

So for now, I'm keeping the DMB on my big board. Maybe I'll build a smaller board with the Beagle Boost, MXR Bass Distortion, and Prisoner, with the DE-7 for oscillation. That could be cool.

Last edited:
Back