This has to be almost required.

Other than your current strange noise & lock cylinder issue, it sounds like your repairs have been mostly just regular maintenance items. I know that upkeep expenses never have good timing but the more you drive & the more time goes by, the more things wear. Go to a good independent mechanic and show them your current strange noise to see if it's something serious or nothing much at all.

the place I usually go will do a free Transmission performance check. There was no sound when I first drove to work this morning, but it showed up after my first full stop at a red light. I think I'll schedule this in tomorrow morning.

Get a Honda and you'll have no issues

oh wait............... :tongue:

seriously just sounds like bad luck/coincidence. My Acura has been rock solid for 17 years...sometimes it's not planned obsolescence it's just bad luck

Aside from this the CRV has been great. Well.....except the AC compressor blowing up four years ago. Honda lost a class action lawsuit becasue of how bad their AC compressors were. Unfortunately I am not the original owner so it did not help me.

Well.....good news/bad news.

Good news. It is NOT the transmission.

Bad news. Two of the motor mounts are really bad. Plus a pressure sensor in the transmission is bad. Total cost to repair - estimate is $1050.00. Shit.....

I hope most of that cost it's the pressure sensor.

Motor mounts are cheap, and with a motor hoist should take very little time.

Auto transmissions scare me to death, though. I know next to nothing about them.

Then again, I apparently can't even bleed my brakes correctly, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.

I hope most of that cost it's the pressure sensor.

Motor mounts are cheap, and with a motor hoist should take very little time.

Auto transmissions scare me to death, though. I know next to nothing about them.

Then again, I apparently can't even bleed my brakes correctly, so take my advice with a huge grain of salt.

According to his estimate replacing the motor mounts is $850.00. The sensor is $178.00. I do get a 10% discount though because they service our work vehicles. It seems a bit expensive.

According to his estimate replacing the motor mounts is $850.00. The sensor is $178.00. I do get a 10% discount though because they service our work vehicles. It seems a bit expensive.

That sounds pretty excessive.

The motor mounts themselves are about $20 each, probably less. There should only be 2 of them.

I know that they are hard to get to, and they may actually have to take a ton of stuff off, but in my experience, you can usually get to them with a little bit of determination and an engine hoist without removing much.

I'd ask for a detailed explanation of why the engine mounts cost so much.

Good suggestion. I'll do that.

I'm sure they'll say they have to remove a thousand things to get to them.

Is this a dealer, or an independent mechanic? Dealers will always go by the shop manual which says that each engine mount takes X number of labor hours. An independent mechanic wants to get your car off the rack quickly so he can put another car on the rack.

I bet I could swap out the engine mounts in any of my vehicles (with Jeff's help) in under 3 hours and a 6 pack of beer. Of course, thinking about it, that's 6 hours of labor (3 for me and 3 for Jeff) at $100 per hour. I guess I see where they come up with their figure.

They should be able to do it a lot faster than a couple of shade tree mechanics, though.

Last edited:
Labor is always a killer on these jobs.

I had an estimate for a series of repairs my truck needed for inspection last June that was over $1,600. I got all the necessary parts from rockauto.com and the local autozone (including free loaner tool for the tie rod) for about $300 bucks all in after core exchanges.

It is an independent mechanic. They are pretty well regarded in the area. And they are cheaper than the dealership.

He just called. They saw while stuff was out that the transmission mounts were shot as well. They are not going to charge me any labor costs but add another $100+ to the total for the parts. This car had best last over 200k miles....(at 131,000 right now).

I'm sure they'll say they have to remove a thousand things to get to them.

Is this a dealer, or an independent mechanic? Dealers will always go by the shop manual which says that each engine mount takes X number of labor hours. An independent mechanic wants to get your car off the rack quickly so he can put another car on the rack.

I bet I could swap out the engine mounts in any of my vehicles (with Jeff's help) in under 3 hours and a 6 pack of beer. Of course, thinking about it, that's 6 hours of labor (3 for me and 3 for Jeff) at $100 per hour. I guess I see where they come up with their figure.

They should be able to do it a lot faster than a couple of shade tree mechanics, though.

You probably didn't have transverse engines though did you? I am not even sure myself how sideways engines are mounted in there. :embarrassed:

You probably didn't have transverse engines though did you? I am not even sure myself how sideways engines are mounted in there. :embarrassed:

Very true. I've not worked on a fwd car enough to know anything about the engine mounts. I hope I never have to.

Very true. I've not worked on a fwd car enough to know anything about the engine mounts. I hope I never have to.

Ditto. I hate working on those things. All the accessories are jammed into the fenderwell, you have to be a gynecologist to work on them.

Back