This has to be almost required.

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
My car (2002 Honda CRV) is almost paid off - it will be in three months. Absolutely looking forward to no car payments.

And of course - this weekend, strange noises start coming from the car. Transmission problems I suspect (noise only appears when the AT is in 1st gear). I'd really like to go a year of so and not have to put cash into the car. I think it was about $2000.00 this year (two sets of tires, struts, brakes).

Never fails does it? Either it dies or someone hits it and totals it. Seems you can never get ahead!
I do hope it is an easy cheap repair!

I just had a conversation with a customer this morning in which I explained to him the concept of planned obsolescence...

I just had a conversation with a customer this morning in which I explained to him the concept of planned obsolescence...

Seriously.....

I was hoping for 200K before it hit that point though. I can't afford new (or new used) car payments right now.

You might be surprised what just having the filter and fluid changed in the transmission would do. Don't do a full flush. Just have the pan dropped, the filter changed, and the fluid refilled. Probably a couple hundred bucks if you take it to a shop, but it might get you another 100k miles before a major repair.

You might be surprised what just having the filter and fluid changed in the transmission would do. Don't do a full flush. Just have the pan dropped, the filter changed, and the fluid refilled. Probably a couple hundred bucks if you take it to a shop, but it might get you another 100k miles before a major repair.

My BMW had some reverse-shifting issues and I was worried that I was going to need a tranny. Did some research online and found that there's a little screen that gets plugged sometimes. A good flush and fill fixed it.

Like Greg said, it was a couple hundred bucks instead of moving the decimal point one more place. :baimun:

Mojo.
I am having idle /stall issues with my car
It is a 25 year old Cherokee though.
Love that beast.

I had that done not that long ago. I'll double check how long ago when I get home.

The best thing about the years I spent in DC and NYC was not owning a car. People think trains and taxis are expensive, but they’re nothing compared to the cost of car payments, maintenance, gas, and insurance.

Yes, but...

I can't tell how many cars I saw come into a shop under their own power for a transmission fluid change only to leave on a tow truck with an angry customer who failed to tell the service writer that the Trans was acting up, and the only thing keeping it alive turned out to be the sludge holding it together.

Every single time, it was "our fault".

I had a strict policy in my shops that required a very thorough list of questions to ask a customer who comes in asking for a trans service. It saved our bacon many times.

Yes, but...

I can't tell how many cars I saw come into a shop under their own power for a transmission fluid change only to leave on a tow truck with an angry customer who failed to tell the service writer that the Trans was acting up, and the only thing keeping it alive turned out to be the sludge holding it together.

Every single time, it was "our fault".

I had a strict policy in my shops that required a very thorough list of questions to ask a customer who comes in asking for a trans service. It saved our bacon many times.

That's why I specified "not a flush". If you just drop the pan, change the filter, and refill, you're only changing about 1/2 of the fluid, and shouldn't be knocking off too much sludge.

Of course, a manual transmission is always my suggestion to begin with.

Reactions: OGG
Cannot find the receipt. I know the tranny fluid was changed in the last two years. Maybe getting close to time.....

Two sets of tires in the last year? Slow down there, Ricky Bobby.

Mojo for the car repairs . . . I'm at 185k on mine and the deferred maintenance is stacking up and about to come calling.

Get a Honda and you'll have no issues

oh wait............... :P

seriously just sounds like bad luck/coincidence. My Acura has been rock solid for 17 years...sometimes it's not planned obsolescence it's just bad luck

And of course - this weekend, strange noises start coming from the car. Transmission problems I suspect (noise only appears when the AT is in 1st gear). I'd really like to go a year of so and not have to put cash into the car. I think it was about $2000.00 this year (two sets of tires, struts, brakes).

Other than your current strange noise & lock cylinder issue, it sounds like your repairs have been mostly just regular maintenance items. I know that upkeep expenses never have good timing but the more you drive & the more time goes by, the more things wear. Go to a good independent mechanic and show them your current strange noise to see if it's something serious or nothing much at all.

Our 2007 Pathfinder which has been both babied and meticulously maintained since we purchased it new is about to get driven up somebody's ass.

Regular synthetic oil changes every 5k miles religiously. Transmission and differential fluids changed every 30K miles (Nissan schedule for both is 60k, and the difference fluid is also synthetic).

The first Transmission suffered a catastrophic failure at 54k due to a now notorious and much litigated and finally recalled radiator assembly that would suffer an internal Crack between the antifreeze tank and the transmission fluid tank, allowing the fluids to mix and destroying both the Trans and the cooling system. A $9,000 repair that was covered under our warranty.

It is now out of warranty, and at just 85k miles, the Trans is acting exactly like it did before it blew up last time. More specifically, the torque converter is acting up.

This is only 31k miles after a "complete" transmission assembly replacement. Nissan lists the torque converter and trans assembly as separate items. Individual of each other. My paper work for the warranty replacement does not list the torque converter, but lists every cotter pin and miscellaneous shop item along with the individual cooling system parts.

Nissan can't tell me IF they actually replaced the TC, but assert that they "probably did" or "should have".

Bottom line, although the result of the class action suit forced Nissan to cover the Trans for 100k miles, the time period has now expired and their basic attitude is "tough shit".

I am displeased.

Back