Dig it! This girl is someone to watch out for

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
I saw The Screaming Females live this afternoon. Marissa Paternoster is a monster guitarist. She's tiny. The guitar is almost bigger than her. She is also self taught.

Here are some covers they did.

I dug Marissa and the original tune was decent, but I wasn't into the video. I get what they're going for and even appreciate the Corman-esque low budget effects, but unnecessarily twisted for me. More stupid than funny.I'll have to check out the Springsteen cover, but Sheryl Crow's music doesn't interest me so I passed on that one.

Thanks for the intro to some new talent.

Jess Lewis is one of Britain's biggest talents. She was only 16 here:

Here's some more clips if you need more convincing:

She even pulls off Guthrie Govan's music with ease:

One thing that may stop her from getting big is the fact that she is painfully shy when performing live

One thing that may stop her from getting big is the fact that she is painfully shy when performing live

Yeah, I remember from the first clip I ever saw of her, she's definitely hiding behind her hair. She's astonishingly good. Don't care about age or gender. That said, she hits me like Gil Parrish in that she's an hellaciously good or even great player, but I don't enjoy the music she plays. To date it's playing over smooth fusion-esque changes, just not my flavor. Similarly Ms. Cox can clearly play, but there's nothing catching me musically yet.

Marissa, however, is rawer and seems to have something to say. That doesn't make it any more valid, but it does catch my ear and has me wanting to explore more of her music.

Not bad.... Have you seen this one?

Obviously a fan of Joe Bonamassa. After watching her second video, the song about cowboys in Mobile, I found it ironic that she's French. I wonder how much time she's spent in Mobile. :messedup: She's definitely talented though.

Last edited:
I have to chuckle at the way everyone tries to one-up each other any time a female guitarist is mentioned. I'm not complaining, I love to see the clips, it's just that any time someone says, "this girl is good" someone else says, "this one's better"...no one actually agrees with the OP. :lol:

I'm not crazy about Marrisa's voice, but I dig the grungy tone :thu:

"Because the Night" was great (although Bruce did it better Tuesday night... :embarrassed:) but I just REALLY don't like her voice. With a different singer I'd be into it, because that first tune was really catchy and I really dug her soloing... a bit of flash but really melodic. I'll check her out some more, but her voice and vibrato just really turn me off initially.

I'm glad so many people commented on "Because the Night". I really don't like that song so I skipped over it. I went back and listed to it...freakin awesome! electricguitar054

"Because the Night" was great (although Bruce did it better Tuesday night... :embarrassed:) but I just REALLY don't like her voice. With a different singer I'd be into it, because that first tune was really catchy and I really dug her soloing... a bit of flash but really melodic. I'll check her out some more, but her voice and vibrato just really turn me off initially.

This. I like her playing and the band in general, but am put off by her vocal style. I don't think she has a bad voice, but the her use of vibrato just ruins it for me.

I'm glad so many people commented on "Because the Night". I really don't like that song so I skipped over it. I went back and listed to it...freakin awesome! electricguitar054
I like the way she sings. I got the feeling she has a little voice from some of the videos, but mic'd and mixed right, she sounds awesome. And there is something great about the power blasting from a small woman with a huge guitar!

I have to chuckle at the way everyone tries to one-up each other any time a female guitarist is mentioned. I'm not complaining, I love to see the clips, it's just that any time someone says, "this girl is good" someone else says, "this one's better"...no one actually agrees with the OP. :lol:

I'm not crazy about Marrisa's voice, but I dig the grungy tone :thu:

It's not a one up... It's a public service for cheap eye candy.........enjoy..

Back