Saw this today and I really hate it.
retrocrap.png

Someone is trying to pay homage to the Mopar Rallye wheels
retrocrap1.png

It just looks horrible with low profile tires

images

The original just looks right

I agree

I like the idea, but there needs to be less rim and more sidewall.

Didn't Chip make those rims first?
Or
Design them I guess is the correct term.

I don't hate the wheels, but I think the stock ones look nicer.

What I really don't like is the air scoop thingy in front of the rear wheel. Is that even functional on a car that has the engine in the front?

Yeah, that looks terrible. Way too much metal on the face of those rims. I dislike the brake vents. The placement looks odd and they are huge. Are those factory? They sure look like a cheap body kit. I bet money they are not functional ducts, and the rear wheel arch has no opening for them. I tracked the shit out of several cars racing and never needed brake vents, especially rear brake vents.

everyone did their "retro" thing.....and they mostly looked very well.....but then......they thought....we need to "upgrade" the retro thing....and then it all goes to shit.
because they go further and further AWAY from what everyone was drawn to.....to begin with.

I like when the wheels are vented to look lighter, and expose more of the disc brake and caliper.

charger-custom.jpg

forgiato-forcella-custom-painted-dodge-charger.jpg

I really hate the big wheels/thin sidewall thing. It's getting to where the tire is nothing more than a strip of rubber around a 22" wheel.

That Mopar Rallye wheel is not only too tall with hardly any tire sidewall, it's not deep enough, and that's what really kills it.

Is there a performance advantage to the thin sidewall design?

The side well of a tire flexes quite a bit during cornering, so in theory a smaller side wall will give less flex and somewhat better grip. Reality is that giant rims add considerable unsprung weight to a car and limit camber settings, so the advantage is not really useful in a racing application. Also, on a track car, the edge of the tire is used a lot more than on a street car, so a low profile tire would be a bit of a disadvantage. So, really it is looks and not much performance wise. Lots of racers I know would love to run SMALLER rims to save weight.

Last edited:
The only performance advantage I can think of is with the lower lower profile tire, you use larger wheels. With larger wheels you can run bigger brakes.

I'm not hot on huge wheels and small sidewalls either... But it's purely aesthetic. I don't race, so any advantages or disadvantages are lost on me.

Plus, I'm kind of a redneck and prefer 4x4 trucks with larger than stock tires, and that's usually something like a 31x10.50 or larger on a 15" wheel.

That said, my truck has 245/75 R16s, which are roughly 30.5x9.5".

Back