Help! Thinline Tele w/cracked body, possible to repair?

I've got this cheap Frankentele that my stepfather put together sometime in the '90s, and I started playing it a lot when I worked at his guitar shop. I bought it cheap, because it had a thin crack in the body that at the time was purely cosmetic.

Fast forward ten years, and the crack is still present, only it's slowly getting more pronounced. It's such a cheap guitar, it wouldn't be worth the cost of sending it to a professional, but I still like the thing and I wanna keep using it for years to come.

Is this something I'd be able to fix on my own, or would it be too daunting?

20160513_152308.jpg

If you can get it to close up some by raising the humidity, it might be worth a try.

Get it into a case with a humidifier. Check it every few days.

I'll leave the repair to the experts, but I think it will involve some thinned out cyano acrylic glue and a syringe.

I mean, it's always cosmetic on an electric guitar, right? That's not really going to have a whole lot of impact on the sound. I'd throw the thing in a well-padded vise, inject some glue in there, and squeeze it ever so gently.

Wick some really thin superglue into the crack and make sure you push the body together so it's all flat and smooth?

If you can get it to close up some by raising the humidity, it might be worth a try.

Get it into a case with a humidifier. Check it every few days.

Yup.

Remove all of the strings, cover the entire body with a garbage bag, tie it tightly around the neck, and then follow the advice above. All of these steps are important, so don't skip.

Reassess in a few days.

I might grab some Krazy glue or something like it to fill the crack and maybe stop it from getting worse. Like you said, it was cheap so probably not worth a ton of effort. And I agree with blockinlay, it's a tele, it vantage a beating.

I might grab some Krazy glue or something like it to fill the crack and maybe stop it from getting worse. Like you said, it was cheap so probably not worth a ton of effort. And I agree with blockinlay, it's a tele, it vantage a beating.
That's what I said. LOL

It won't take much. Just get some strong rubber bands, put some watery super glue in the crack, rubber band the body to keep the crack squeezed together, and there you go. It won't fall apart on you anymore.

Drill a small hole at the very end of the crack to stop the propagation. Inject tightbond with a syringe into the crack with a needle tip. Clamp normally or wrap with a long elastic cord. Make sure the crack pulls tight together. Wipe the glue that squeezes out with a damp rag. Wipe every 5 minutes until no more glue comes out. Let dry 3 days. Remove clamp or band. Plug hole and touch up where needed. Enjoy your new guitar. You can fill, wet sand, and buff if you like.

Back