Thinking Out Loud - Hmmm Maybe Get Another Guitar

ellengtrgrl

Guitar Old Timer
I'm just thinking out loud (actually I've been thinking out loud about this for the past month and a half). I need another guitar like I need another hole in my head (I already have 3 nice electric guitars [Gretsch Country Club, Gibson ES-135, Fender 60s Baja Tele] and 2 nice acoustics [Gibson J-35, and Taylor GS Mini Koa]), but there are a few guitars that I can't seem to shake the GAS for:

Hardtail Strat - yeah I know, the way I've talked about Strats, I have a love/hate relationship at best with them, but I will admit that I've been a big Rory Gallagher fan for well over 35 years (I cut my lead guitar teeth back in the early 80s, learning Rory's guitar parts), and he sure got some killer sounds out of his '61 Strat, as did Glenn Tipton on the early Judas Priest albums. Thing is, if I did get one, I'd get a hardtail:

1980 Hardtail on Reverb. that looks cool, has a reasonably chunky neck, and is going for a decent price
ojs1dap5kzckidzc3uql.jpg

Robert Cray Strat
rrrwuk1tfkj6snivrr9h.jpg

Rickenbacker 360W - as you know I've had 3, Ric 360s over the years. Like Jaguars, they're one of those guitars I can't seem to get over. Unlike the standard 360s (which have mega clearcoat over the fingerboards), the 360W has a very light finish on its maple fingerboard, making it easier to refret. Rics are capable of quite a bit more than jangle - just listen to 80s era Smithereens, or the post-rock band This Will Destroy You.
qf2az9i7ed26yl0sdhta.jpg

Schecter Hellraiser 7
I will admit that I miss having a 7-string. The only problem - it's hard enough finding people who are willing to play with a 7-string guitarist around here, much less one who is 53 years old (me), so it would be a "playing it purely for my enjoyment" thing.
kotg1iaas8kdqa66f4sh.jpg

Fender Jaguar - another guitar I can't get over (considering I've had several of them over the years). The thing is it would have to be an AV65, or another CIJ 66 Reissue (like I used to have), since those are some of the few Jaguars that have don't have thin necks.

AV65 Reissue Jaguar
nksenkxxe2dmreurnvft.jpg

There are also the perennial darkhorse G&L ASAT Special Thinline, and Fender 72 Thinline Teles, but I will admit, that I really don't need 2 Teles.

I need to think some more on this. Who knows, maybe I should just stand pat.

The Robert Cray is 12" radius and feels wider than most of the strats I've played. I like it a lot but it might not be for everyone.

I'll go out on a limb here and help you narrow it down to the two strats, the 360W, and the Jag. :helper:

I love single coils.

"There are also the perennial darkhorse G&L ASAT Special Thinline, and Fender 72 Thinline Teles, but I will admit, that I really don't need 2 Teles."

I don't think 2 Teles are nearly enough. :grin: I've had gas for the G&L forever. Based solely on looks, never came across one in person. Just love the regular Tele control plate instead of the pickguard coming down. From what I understand though, G&L necks are thin and, "The thing is it would have to be an AV65, or another CIJ 66 Reissue (like I used to have), since those are some of the few Jaguars that have don't have thin necks." so you don't like thin necks? Is it just the import G&Ls that have thin necks?

I am considering the same general types of guitars. I even played one of those walnut rice a week or two ago.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a G&L ASAT Special myself. For the poster above, G&L has a number of neck profiles. Some thin, some chunky. Their Classic C is a goldilocks type neck that isn't too big or too slim. Def more substantial that the recent Fender American Standards and even the supposedly chunkier American Pro Fenders.

My beef with 95% of G&Ls is the medium jumbo frets--which are actually jumbo if you check the specs. So if I go G&L, I'm gonna have to likely do a custom order with vintage fretwire because I hate tall frets.

I am considering the same general types of guitars. I even played one of those walnut rice a week or two ago.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a G&L ASAT Special myself. For the poster above, G&L has a number of neck profiles. Some thin, some chunky. Their Classic C is a goldilocks type neck that isn't too big or too slim. Def more substantial that the recent Fender American Standards and even the supposedly chunkier American Pro Fenders.

My beef with 95% of G&Ls is the medium jumbo frets--which are actually jumbo if you check the specs. So if I go G&L, I'm gonna have to likely do a custom order with vintage fretwire because I hate tall frets.

Would it be cheaper to buy the G&L you want and then put a Warmoth neck on it?

Shocker, I say Ric or Jag. I kinda have the Jag covered with my McFeely and if I buy another guitar, it will probably be a Ric 620.

Would it be cheaper to buy the G&L you want and then put a Warmoth neck on it?
Probably not. Got a line on a used vintage type Fender that might work. Gonna check it out after MANDATORY WORK BOOZE.

If not, I'll probably just bite the bullet and put in a custom order as soon as I pick a color.

Probably not. Got a line on a used vintage type Fender that might work. Gonna check it out after MANDATORY WORK BOOZE.

If not, I'll probably just bite the bullet and put in a custom order as soon as I pick a color.

You should be able to sell the G&L neck to make up some money if you went that route. I've sold bodies and necks more times that I'd like to admit and always come out ahead on it. Look at the Stratosphere. They make a living on parting out guitars.

Back