Railhammer Hyper Vintage
SD '59/JB
SD Antiquities
DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniv.
PRS SC245's

other?

Last edited:
What do you want more of?
The Reverend pickups are a bit too bright.

I'm always rolling off the tone knob to get rid of some of the ice-pick sound. My EVH mini 5150 III is also a bright amp, so that doesn't help matters. (Most people claim their 5150 mini is dark-sounding, go figure…)

Maybe looking for a nice '70s rock sound, since I do have other guitars with high output pickups. I figured maybe more of a vintage wind idn_smilie

Korina is middy. Maybe a '59 or Pearly Gates neck and a 59/Custom Hybrid bridge. Stay away from the Dimarzios if you don't want bright.

Rail hammer vintage. It will solve the ceramic harshness while keeping it relatively stock because those are Reverend pickups.

I'd be interested in hearing the Railhamers so I'd probably go with those. Or I'd stick with my favorite, tv jones

I just ordered the Railhammer Hyper Vintage set.

I'll need to get a soldering iron and have one of you guys walk me thru the process, now :tongue:

I just ordered the Railhammer Hyper Vintage set.

I'll need to get a soldering iron and have one of you guys walk me thru the process, now :tongue:

Swapping pickups is super easy. You just take a wire off and replace it with the new one.

Ok, now I'm getting worried. Ordered them from MF. For some reason or another the online site wouldn't take my CC, so I called the order in. The gal that took my order said I'd be getting an email confirmation fairly quickly. Still no email confirmation. I wonder if I'll need to check my CC purchases...

Swapping pickups is super easy. You just take a wire off and replace it with the new one.
I haven't done any soldering since high school though, and don't own a soldering iron. I don't think I have wire strippers either, come to think of it.

They've already shipped them :)

What am I looking for in a soldering iron, wattage-wise, or however they rate 'em. And what type of solder?

Best wire strippers is a Bic lighter. Seriously, you cut zero wires that way. Can't believe how many years I fought stripping wires till son started playing guitar, I started going to guitar forums...

I like a solder gun. It heats up instantly, cools down quick. If you get an iron, get a soldering station. Has the springy thing to set your iron in and, a sponge. The stuff inside the solder builds up on your iron, becomes an insulator if you don't keep cleaning it. One more reason I like the gun.

Your biggest challenge will be getting the grounds soldered to the back of the pot. If you are not changing the pots, you can leave a little wire on them and, solder to that.

Don't have a clue what kind of solder, whatever RadioShack has.

I can't remember what kind of solder. I bought a roll of it 15 years ago and still haven't finished it. If all of my stuff wasn't packed up and 4 states a way, I could look at it and tell you.

I'm a big fan of bare knuckle pickups. They're pricy but I have zero complaints about mine. Both of my Paul have the "rebel yell" model. They are amazing.
They make a whole line of vintage type pickups too, that sounds like what you're looking for. Check out the "mule" model on their website.

The pickups have arrived!

Still haven't bought an iron/gun yet, but I'll go look in Menards tomorrow. My buddy probably has one too, come to think of it. He swaps pickups in his cheap pawn-shop guitars all the time.

Looking online, they say 60/40 solder is the best solder for guitar work. I'll see if Menards has that, too.

Back