thinking of changing it up a bit...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I'm thinking of changing my rig...

I currently have an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. I love it for the blue channel(but only with a boost in front)... add a touch of delay and it's tone heaven.

But I don't use the red channel at all and the green(clean) channel is ok, but nothing great.

I've been really enjoying the RK5 Fly Rig by Tech 21 as well. Actually, I play mostly with that set up through monitors and love it.

But I'm thinking of selling the 5150 III and getting a Fender Supersonic. I dig the clean channel of that amp and it can get some nice dirty tones. But I'm thinking of using the RK5 for my main dirt tones.

If you're not actively gigging I'd just keep playing the FlyRig with the monitors. Hold onto the amp since eventually you'll want to come back to it and instead maybe try some other pedals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John, I really don't see you being happy with a Supersonic. I heard several and played through one or two - not going to be your thing aside from the clean channel. If you start gigging again in a few years see what is out there then, but I think you would regret selling the 5150.

IIRC, you keep coming back to that 5150. Unless you need to clear space and/or need the funds, keep it. Buy something else and try it out by all means but that 5150 should stay.

See, I hardly ever use the blue channel on mine.

Green & Red channels for me only, unless I am playing a classic rock song. Then it's the Blue channel. The Red channel has more than enough gain. You can play '80s hair-band metal with the gain knob at about 3, Iced Earth or Opeth with the gain at 4, and more brootalz stuff at 5. Anything past 5 doesn't really add anything, really.

Amps I've been happy with in rehearsal studios:

Dr Z Maz 38, Route 66
Fender Twin Reverb
VHT Pittbull 45
Bogner Shiva

All of these sound good clean and take pedals well.

I think you keep flipping gear because you really haven't found the right setup and maybe you are trying to play music that isn't you. I say sell all of your gear, buy a Tele and an Twin reverb and go for the Bakersfield sound. :grin:

Sorry, I have been on a huge Merle Haggard binge the last few days. Continue on chasing your high.

I'm thinking of changing my rig...

I currently have an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. I love it for the blue channel(but only with a boost in front)... add a touch of delay and it's tone heaven.

But I don't use the red channel at all and the green(clean) channel is ok, but nothing great.

I've been really enjoying the RK5 Fly Rig by Tech 21 as well. Actually, I play mostly with that set up through monitors and love it.

But I'm thinking of selling the 5150 III and getting a Fender Supersonic. I dig the clean channel of that amp and it can get some nice dirty tones. But I'm thinking of using the RK5 for my main dirt tones.
I'd have to look at the schematic, but there is one tube that's ONLY used in the clean channel, IIRC. If you tube roll in that position you might find yourself happy with the green channel. Maybe even drop a 5751 or a 12AT7 or 12AY7 in there.

Back