Thinking about swapping the neck on my Tokai

True. And Mark really shouldn't have normal frets on a guitar ever again the way he abuses them. :tongue:
To be fair though, Mark, you play a lot more than us lot. :wink:

And cheezus man, learn to do your own fretwork. Seriously.

I'm right behind him. I completely obliterated the frets on my Taylor T5 in a year and a half. (they're now EVOs). I've been burning through the frets on my Thorn and that one will be much harder to refret. I'll probably have to send it back to Ron Thorn to be done. I need to get a good partscaster finished so it will handle my gigs while I"m waiting for the refret to get done.

In my cart right now:

2A6DD552-A4C5-4912-877A-DD5A1E0AAEF0.jpeg

I’m gonna think about it but it fits my budget and I won’t have to pay few months....

That’s the one on my guitar right now and they say it’s the “American standard” size. Maybe I should go play some guitars this week at GC.

Standard Thin is what I have on my 3 Warmoth necks. I do go 1-5/8" for the nut, but I figured with the massive size difference in our hands, you would go with something meatier :grin:

I didn't realize the standard thin was the same as the American Standard.

Standard Thin is what I have on my 3 Warmoth necks. I do go 1-5/8" for the nut, but I figured with the massive size difference in our hands, you would go with something meatier :grin:

I didn't realize the standard thin was the same as the American Standard.
That’s what t says on the warmth sitr. I might go
Play some strats as GC this week and comepare.

That’s what t says on the warmth sitr. I might go
Play some strats as GC this week and comepare.

I went to their site after I saw your post and I guess it is. They feel a little smaller than the neck on my McFeely but that could be the 1-5/8" nut and not the actual carve of the neck.

Looking forward to a build thread. I remember Kramers having those back in the 80s. For some reason it never seemed to catch on. :shrug:

kramer_aluminum_neck_d1011_fr_700px.jpg
In the heavier music scenes, they are becoming the must have item.
Electrical Guitar Company out of Florida has been leading the charge with their guitars.
2D89E6B3-A86C-4681-87A6-03F7372E5749.jpeg

They even brought Travis Bean back
B25DCEDF-9173-4DB6-AF84-ABA8CB29F551.jpeg

Anyway these things go for 4 grand.
I can make the neck for $200

I imagine aluminum would be uncomfortable and weird once your hands get sweaty.
Seems like it would be cold too. I'd like to try one sometime though. I did try one of those Kramers back in the 80s, but it had wood over the aluminum. I would guess to try and combat some of that metal feeling.

My friend had two Aluminum neck Kramers and had a lot of weird things happen with then: taking them to a gig in a hot car in summer the neck would get hot enough to cook an egg even cased.
When crowds would come to the venue the tuning would shift with the temperature.
In the winter your hands would freeze like an iceberg.
Very interesting design. I didn't warm to them so much.

I also have a Fender strat I'd love to swap the neck on. The current neck is okay but I think I can find a better one.

Ok. The current neck is going bye bye this afternoon. I’m still pondering neck shapes but after a trip to GC to try some different guitars and a few hours of playing this neck with my classes last night I’m leaning towards their ‘59 roundback.

Ok. The current neck is going bye bye this afternoon. I’m still pondering neck shapes but after a trip to GC to try some different guitars and a few hours of playing this neck with my classes last night I’m leaning towards their ‘59 roundback.
Not surprised...the "Standard Thin" profile with a 1 11/16" nut is on 3 of mine and I find it very comfortable even with my size small hands...for you it would probably feel like the "Wizard" profile does to me...I would have recommended AT LEAST a "59" for you...

Not surprised...the "Standard Thin" profile with a 1 11/16" nut is on 3 of mine and I find it very comfortable even with my size small hands...for you it would probably feel like the "Wizard" profile does to me...I would have recommended AT LEAST a "59" for you...
It looks like thats the one for me. The bigger ones at 1" are unplayable for me....

Back