Thinking about starting an Eagles thread

I saw them at Cal Jam 1 in 1974. Spent most of the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s hating them. Then that documentary History of the Eagles came out and I suddenly rediscovered their music. Although I always like Take It Easy.
Probably the Jackson Browne influence.

Is that perhaps a new forum record? Not even a minute and somebody crapped all over my post? munch0stirthepot

That's only because I didn't see it sooner :embarrassed:

Like I said, I love the Eagles, but that song is bad. But I'm probably in the minority's of Eagles fans. I like the stuff with Bernie better than the stuff with Joe.

That's only because I didn't see it sooner :embarrassed:

Like I said, I love the Eagles, but that song is bad. But I'm probably in the minority's of Eagles fans. I like the stuff with Bernie better than the stuff with Joe.
They lost me with the Hotel California album. I thought Desperado was a great album. I really enjoyed the early stuff.

I think Hotel California is one of the most brilliant albums .... ever. Remarkable in so many ways: the songwriting; the production; the way it documented 70's West Coast cultural tropes while simultaneously excoriating them; the performances ... tremendous.

It's amazing how people love to hop bandwagons in hating certain artists. Just seems like a lack of imagination to me.

Re: the co-writers ... they sure did work with a lot of folks over the years. I thought J.D. Souther was an actual member at one point? Either way, THAT guy's had quite an interesting life.

When you look at the musicians who all knew (and partied with) each other from Laurel Canyon in the late 60's/early 70's, it's amazing, really. One of my impossible dreams would be to have a roadside shack in Topanga Canyon, about halfway up. (Topanga because ... well, Laurel Canyon now ...). There would be no marquee - people would just play there, unannounced. And there would be amazing craft beer, and burgers made from grass fed beef ... and some weird local cheese with herbs. And that would be it. Cover would be $30, and you'd get 4 beers (carefully tabbed as 3), a burger, and a rickety seat. Max capacity 70. Name: Fuck This Place.

The Eagles are gutless, chill-bro proto-yuppie goodtimes sonic wallpaper. They'd be innocuous and forgettable if it weren't for their ubiquity. That all the band members are scum only makes them easier to hate. They have all the depth and valor of a High School Homecoming Court. They're dull and beloved and they're easy to hate. It's like when the school quarterback discovers weed and then wants to chill with the local dirtbags. Rock music for tourists.

Fuck them. And fuck everyone who owns a copy of their kajillion selling greatest hits. Borelords.

I think Hotel California is one of the most brilliant albums .... ever. Remarkable in so many ways: the songwriting; the production; the way it documented 70's West Coast cultural tropes while simultaneously excoriating them; the performances ... tremendous.

It's amazing how people love to hop bandwagons in hating certain artists. Just seems like a lack of imagination to me.

Re: the co-writers ... they sure did work with a lot of folks over the years. I thought J.D. Souther was an actual member at one point? Either way, THAT guy's had quite an interesting life.

When you look at the musicians who all knew (and partied with) each other from Laurel Canyon in the late 60's/early 70's, it's amazing, really. One of my impossible dreams would be to have a roadside shack in Topanga Canyon, about halfway up. (Topanga because ... well, Laurel Canyon now ...). There would be no marquee - people would just play there, unannounced. And there would be amazing craft beer, and burgers made from grass fed beef ... and some weird local cheese with herbs. And that would be it. Cover would be $30, and you'd get 4 beers (carefully tabbed as 3), a burger, and a rickety seat. Max capacity 70. Name: Fuck This Place.
For me, Hotel California was too far away from the soft sound I liked. Between the title track and Life in the Fast Lane, it just wasn't music I enjoy. But then too, The Beatles' Helter Skelter was too heavy for me; I'm a folkie at heart.

I don't have time or energy to hate bands or individual musicians. I like what I like and understand that other people will like what they like. That's life.

For me, Hotel California was too far away from the soft sound I liked. Between the title track and Life in the Fast Lane, it just wasn't music I enjoy. But then too, The Beatles' Helter Skelter was too heavy for me; I'm a folkie at heart.

Said one person ever.

Back