Thinking about some better pedals

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Now that I built a board I'm giving some thoughts to replacing and eliminating some stuff. My collection contains stuff I really don't need, and old designs that poss could be replaced with something more specific for my taste and needs. See xref from guitars thread for my current stuff.
Here are some things that have caught my eye and why. I'd appreciate any feedback I could get on these, pos or neg. A more economical choice that does basically the same thing is good too.
Not running out anytime soon and buying a bunch of pedals but if I'm gassin for something that's not what I think it is I'd like to hear about it.

Over time I'd like to replace, in order of priority:
DynaComp- with a more use-specific "always on" pedal for a bit of sparkle. I really don't need the compression.
Dano DaddyO-with a cleanish boost for leads and a fuzz. I tend to get my milder OD tones from my amp and guitar.
The Wah. Don't really use it. Might get a smaller footprint auto wah someday if I decide I want the funk.
The DanEcho-don't use it much, a smaller footprint device if at all.

My guitar preferences tend to be cleanish humbuckers with enough power to push an amp hard and sound good distorted but clean up well. Bill &Becky Lawrence, L45, L90, L500, my old Carvin M22s, the Gretchbuckers in my 5120, original Fender Wide Range HB are some of my fav pickups. I may experiment with Filtertrons or TV Jones in the future. I don't seem to get along with single coils very well unless I just playing clean rhythm on the front pickup of a strat. And my L45s wylde equipped tele seems to do that almost as well as a trad strat, close enough.

So I've been looking at:

From Catlinbread-the Super Chili and the Merkin. I see the Super Chili functioning as a lead boost, or as an always on/ buffer pedal for a little high end shimmer and sparkle that I currently use my Dyna Comp for. The Merkin seems like a good sounding and versatile fuzz for the old school stuff I like to play, more useful to me than a hot Dist or OD pedal.

From Nocturne- Atomic Brain. Expensive but I see it as performing 2 functions-Always on to replace the DynaComp and a boost for lead on the other ch of the box.

Last edited:
meh...pedals are kinda boring. good thing they're so cheap. :grin:

I don't have experience with the models you're checking out, but I support your new journey. :thu:

For an always on pedal to add some sparkle, I recommend Xotic EP booster. I bought one to use as a boost but ended up leaving it on all the time it sounded so good.

As for the Catalinbread pedals, I have never tried those models, but they do make awesome pedals. For fuzz or overdrive, I can't recommend Mojo Hand FX enough. I currently have 3 of their od/distortion/fuzz pedals on my board and I have one more that should be here today or tomorrow. The only one of theirs I didn't like was the Pompeii.

I've been agreeing with @Chad too much today. But yeah, for always on, I really like the EP. Adds just a hint of bass, which I like. If you'd like just a bit of a clean boost, the TC Mini Spark is a nice choice. It was too clean for me though.

Actually I am with HIAR as well.

However if you were to replace pedals,

Xotic SP for the Dynacomp.
Sparkle Drive for the Daddy-O

Hm. Well ok.
I'm certainly no pedal expert that's for sure.
My wife likes that answer for sure.

Now that I'm actually at a computer, here's a longer answer.

You have a Dyna Comp. Virtually every compressor out there is a tweak of either the Dyna Comp/ROSS Comp or the Orange Squeezer. Does it sound good? Does it do the job you want it to? Great, stick with it. If not, what don't you like about it, and what do you want more or less of?

The Daddy-O is a cheapish Marshall Guv'nor, considered one of the best distortion pedals ever. So like my questions about the MXR, what else are you looking for out of it?

The CB Super Chili Picasso is a boost pedal based on Jack Orman's design, and is very similar to the ZVex SHO. So it's great for boosting and not so great for generating it's own distortion or acting as a compressor.

The Merkin, while maybe the best named pedal ever, is a Fuzz-Rite and they're kinda harsh. So it entirely depends on what you want from a fuzz. This may or may not be the fuzz for you.

I dunno about the Atomic Brain. Sorry.

Hope that helps.

Back