Dig it! Think I've finally found fingerpicks that suit me!

How did you figure out the size to buy?

I wear a medium glove, so went with 3 medium picks. They come in medium and large at Elderly. The split wraps allow better fine adjustment than the single wraps.
split:
PK47SP-M_sm_.jpg

single:
PK47-M_sm_.jpg

I need to find some that work for me. The plastic ones either hurt after a few minutes or go flying in short order. Therefore I rarely take the time to get used to playing with them.

I need to find some that work for me. The plastic ones either hurt after a few minutes or go flying in short order. Therefore I rarely take the time to get used to playing with them.
Dip the band into boiling water for about 15 seconds, then put them on and immediately dip into ice water. They'll fit much more comfortably.

Just picked up some Alaska picks at a local shop, and they had the fred kelly thumbpicks there! Now I just need to try the propicks.

I may try some picks later once I get my lap steel going. Outside of that it is all fingernails and nails shaping.

Hate to derail, but I think this thread's done with otherwise.

I've got my alaska picks, and my first attempt went well, but then I cut my nails short (I've got to keep them trimmed to the quick between working with physically aggressive students and doing a lot of gardening), and the picks don't have any nail to nest under, which renders them virtually useless. Still hoping to order some propiks--it looks like they don't connect with the fingernail at all--is that right?

picked up some brass dunlop .18's seem like they might work but I'm sure they will take some getting used to. Do you guys roll the 'nail' part a bit to the side so they strike the strings at a flatter angle than having it centered over the pad of your fingertip?

picked up some brass dunlop .18's seem like they might work but I'm sure they will take some getting used to. Do you guys roll the 'nail' part a bit to the side so they strike the strings at a flatter angle than having it centered over the pad of your fingertip?
I do. But as is clear from this thread, I'm not too happy with my fingerpick situation.

Still hoping to order some propiks--it looks like they don't connect with the fingernail at all--is that right?

The Propik Fingertones don't actually rest against the nails, but they do depend on the firmness that the entire nail creates in my fingertips. I don't see having extra short nails being a problem.

right_hand_propik_800x600.jpg

Got my propiks, via Amazon. They're fantastic for fingerpicking, but I've got to get them fitted to my fingers before I make my final judgement. As is, they don't work too well for frailing banjo--they still catch and fling off. The alaska picks were better for that, but as mentioned earlier, they don't work consistently for me.

Got my propiks, via Amazon. They're fantastic for fingerpicking, but I've got to get them fitted to my fingers before I make my final judgement. As is, they don't work too well for frailing banjo--they still catch and fling off. The alaska picks were better for that, but as mentioned earlier, they don't work consistently for me.
For frailing, try turning them around, oriented like your natural nails...might work better.

Back