Think I'm losing my mind sometimes.

Steverino

black sheep
This morning, I hopped in the ST for a quick ride to get lunch. Soon as I hit the road I became very aware of a distinct whooshing sound as I took off, only under load, sounded like air, a vacuum line or one of the inter cooler hoses. Gotta say, I was a bit concerned. Drove it some more, around my neighborhood. Sure enough, very noticeable. Got home and drove her up on to the ramps, checked everything, found nothing. Then, it hit me.

I’d just had new tires installed yesterday. All the roads in my neighborhood had just been repaved last month. Brand new tires on fresh blacktop are making a very noticeable whooshing sound. Had me flummoxed. Somehow, new tires on new blacktop had in my mind, emulated the sound of loose chargepipe. Or something. The new tires sure feel good. I'd gotten 49K out of original F1s, which according to other ST owners was a feat.

Reactions: Tig
49k? That’s not bad at all for a sporty car. I get no where near that.
Road noise is definitely one of the factors I look at for new tires. Speaking of tires, it’s time to shop for a new set of winters :mad:

49k? That’s not bad at all for a sporty car. I get no where near that.
Road noise is definitely one of the factors I look at for new tires. Speaking of tires, it’s time to shop for a new set of winters :mad:

Most guys I've talked to are getting 20-25 on a set of good tires, like the Michelin Pilots super sports. I don't track the car or anything, though that would be a ton of fun. The F1s were good tires, handled well and wore extremely well and even.

These new (P Zeroes) don't make noise like what I'd expect, like a whine or growl. It's more like a whiiish that's only evident on acceleration and nice, smooth blacktop. Now that I know what it is, I'm cool with it.

Thankfully I don't need to worry about winter tires, though 2 sets just for the hell of it would be nice. The Pirellis are all season, which means "no season" to a lot of owners. :embarrassed: We'll see, I'm after good traction, especially in rain, and a longer treadlife.

Most guys I've talked to are getting 20-25 on a set of good tires, like the Michelin Pilots super sports. I don't track the car or anything, though that would be a ton of fun. The F1s were good tires, handled well and wore extremely well and even.

These new (P Zeroes) don't make noise like what I'd expect, like a whine or growl. It's more like a whiiish that's only evident on acceleration and nice, smooth blacktop. Now that I know what it is, I'm cool with it.

Thankfully I don't need to worry about winter tires, though 2 sets just for the hell of it would be nice. The Pirellis are all season, which means "no season" to a lot of owners. :embarrassed: We'll see, I'm after good traction, especially in rain, and a longer treadlife.
I really like the pilot super sports...have a set on my car now (rwd). Fantastic dry grip & good wet grip. when they break loose, it's gradual and very predictable. They are really nice street tires and lots of fun on the track. They work fine down to and slightly below 40 degrees but I wouldn't want to risk them on snow or ice as they're a grippy summer compound.

Back