Things that upset Canadians

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
But eventually, we get a nice apology.

Canadians receive long-awaited apology from person who first added raisins to butter tarts

NATIONWIDE—Pastry connoisseurs were shocked this morning when 98-year-old Rosie Vasco, the first person to publish a butter tart recipe that inexplicably called for raisins, issued a long-awaited public apology for desecrating one of Canada's most beloved baked goods.
"My sincere apologies to anyone who has ever innocently bitten into a butter tart, unaware that it is filled with raisins," Vasco said in a press conference from her nursing home. "I have spent my life haunted by guilt for the undue anguish my recipe has caused the bake sale community."
The apology had special significance to Jeanie McLean, great-granddaughter of butter tart inventor Bertha McLean.
At her home in Barrie, Ontario, Jeanie flips through a scrapbook filled with pictures of butter tarts. She stops on a worn page from a 1942 issue of Chatelaine and her eyes instantly well with tears.
"This is it. The first published butter tart recipe to include raisins," McLean says. "It's hard for me to look at. Dad says it's what sent Grannie to her grave."
In 2000, the year the butter tart celebrated its centennial, McLean organized a petition calling for an apology from the author of Chatelaine's "tart sacrilege."
More than 850,000 Canadians signed the petition, demanding reparations for the damage the highly controversial dried fruit had caused to the reputation of the nationally acclaimed dessert.
One of the signatories was Gordie Beynon, then 29, who says his father's homemade butter tarts used to be his favourite treat.
"While visiting Dad in the hospital, I noticed the cafeteria sold butter tarts. I bought one thinking it would comfort him," Beynon said. "He took one bite, whispered 'RAISINS,' and slipped into a coma he never came out of."
Beynon added, "To be fair, "Raisins" was also the name of his beloved childhood toboggan, so I'm not sure what he meant."
Vasco said it took her 17 years to respond to the petition due to a constant stream of threats.
"People have called me a grape murderer. They've mailed me Glosette Raisins boxes filled with chocolate-covered flies," she said. "In 1987 someone broke into my house and left a beheaded California Raisins doll in my bed. They weren't sure where its neck started, so they just left its arms and legs."
Vasco says she's apologizing now to "make amends with God."
"My pastor told me raisins are the husks of grapes who have gone to hell."
However, McLean says forgiveness will take time.
"I'm still too scared to buy unmarked tarts at farmers markets. I will not rest until every tart is pure and safe."

IMG_4930.JPG

From a Canadian who has made butter tarts several times from scratch, no apology required.

Rather, thank you...Raisins certainly do belong in butter tarts. Butter tarts wouldn't be the same without them...

This was funny..."My pastor told me raisins are the husks of grapes who have gone to hell."

Plain old not speaking French in Quebec.
That seems to piss of Canadians.
And there is no such thing as an English Muffin in Quebec. No such thing, does not exist.
They're called "Cupcakes".

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "French Fries" either.

Don't order either one of those. Pisses them right off.

Well, I don't think we care that "pancake" syrup exists. Just don't call it Maple Syrup...and don't serve it to us.
I only buy maple syrup. It's more expensive ,but you need less
Maple candy works well too. Heat up some syrup chill it on ice. eat0

american pronunciation of words pisses them right off. we are a canadian owned corp (edmonton). but most of the offices are in the US.
so we have the kanucks (which they don't like being referred to either) come down here and they're gritting their teeth at some of our pronunciations.
for instance. the word process. they use a long o. schedule, the say 'shedule', and leave out the c. and many others that they picked up from the british.
but man, can some of them get buggered off by us. they say 'where do you yanks get off turning our language into rubbish, eh?'
boy did we get a laugh out of that. "your language?" don't you mean the brit's language?

and then there's quebec......oooooh boy.
:grin:

american pronunciation of words pisses them right off. we are a canadian owned corp (edmonton). but most of the offices are in the US.
so we have the kanucks (which they don't like being referred to either) come down here and they're gritting their teeth at some of our pronunciations.
for instance. the word process. they use a long o. schedule, the say 'shedule', and leave out the c. and many others that they picked up from the british.
but man, can some of them get buggered off by us. they say 'where do you yanks get off turning our language into rubbish, eh?'
boy did we get a laugh out of that. "your language?" don't you mean the brit's language?

and then there's quebec......oooooh boy.
:grin:
That sounds more like they're recent transplants from Britain.

The only time I hear shedule around here is with a British accent.

Prohcess and prahcess are often used interchangeably, but are sometimes each used in a different context.
Prohcess is what you do after a complete stranger kicks you in the nads. You take a minute to prohcess why it happened (after you get up off the floor)

Prahcess is a step or method of doing something.

Back