The Whole 30.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
@Johnny N. turned me onto this in this thread: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/gluten-free-what.56677/

Here is what it is all about: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

I started on Monday and this is Wednesday morning. SO far so good although I have lots of food habits that I'm fighting. I know what to eat and why, I just need to get out of the habit of eating everything else. I started at 263 lbs. I even did a "mirror selfie" before pic although I won't be sharing that here :embarrassed:

You're not supposed to weigh yourself until the 30 days are up so we'll see where I am at that point.

I did try this place out yesterday and with a little modification was able to order something that was legal on the program: http://www.wabagrill.com/

I completed the Whole 30 February 5. It completely changed my relationship with food.

Feel free to get a hold of me for advice or recipes. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so. The upside is that my wife pretty much eats like this anyway so it's not like I'm trying to do this and my spouse is pounding pizza and beer every day.

Don't forget to watch your oils. Only coconut and olive oil are ok. Costco has great prices on coconut oil.

No legumes, this means peanuts and soy beans. Soy beans are terrible for you

Read your labels, EVERYTHING has sugar in it. Unless you make it yourself or buy from US Wellness Meats no bacon (cured with sugar).

I would have to also say that the process completely changed my relationship with food. It is important to be honest with yourself and stick to it 100% for the 30 days. I would also say I didnt find it as difficult as I thought I would or as some (my wife). I had the toughest time with soda though. I found the elimination of the "habit" of snacking was probably the game changer for me. There were certainly others but that was probably the biggest.

I'm definitely available for questions too. I think it is one of the most important things I have done.

Don't forget to watch your oils. Only coconut and olive oil are ok. Costco has great prices on coconut oil.

No legumes, this means peanuts and soy beans. Soy beans are terrible for you

Read your labels, EVERYTHING has sugar in it. Unless you make it yourself or buy from US Wellness Meats no bacon (cured with sugar).

So far the only oil I've used has been olive. I did eat half an avocado with my chicken yesterday
I would have to also say that the process completely changed my relationship with food. It is important to be honest with yourself and stick to it 100% for the 30 days. I would also say I didnt find it as difficult as I thought I would or as some (my wife). I had the toughest time with soda though. I found the elimination of the "habit" of snacking was probably the game changer for me. There were certainly others but that was probably the biggest.

I'm definitely available for questions too. I think it is one of the most important things I have done.

Thanks guys. I've always had problems with my "relationship with food" and I'm afraid that it will seriously affect my long term health... Genetically there is enough on the table as it is.

I'll definitely hit y'all up for advice.

First, what are your favorite legal things to eat?

Cashews, raisins (in moderation) oranges

I make myself up a trail mix type thing of cashews, raisins and coconut flakes. It's a really tasty snack.

Erin found a spaghetti squash spaghetti recipe I really like.

Meatza pizza is really good

Lettuce wraps (pf changs style) with paleo hosin sauce

I made lots of plantain chips too

Other than the standard protein + veggies, I have been doing a lot of one dish meals lately. I'll make a cauliflower rice (from Well Fed minus the cinnamon) with some cut up chicken and stir fry veggies. Or I'll make just about anything with eggs. One of my favorites is mushroom cheeseburger eggs (minus the cheese if doing whole 30). Slice some mushrooms, break up a leftover hamburger and get them cooking in the pan. Then make an omlette or scrabled eggs with the meat. You could add onions and peppers or something if you like. Makes me happy.

We tend to have pretty straight up dinners like this.

Tgat looks great :)

I just had some leftover ground turkey from last night heated up with a cut up red bell pepper and a handful of little tomatoes.

My problem is that I won't be able to eat a real dinner until almost 10pm.

That does make it tough. It is definitely easier when you are eating as a family but just remember that every time you do get to eat, eat well. You just have a different clock to work with. Maybe get in the habit if eating a big ass lunch. You wont feel like you need as much later.

I'll have to figure something out. Right now I'm just having some cashews or almonds and an illegal Naked Juice about halfway through my day.

I'll have to figure something out. Right now I'm just having some cashews or almonds and an illegal Naked Juice about halfway through my day.
If you need to have something midday, and can't get anything decent. I normally eat a handful of cashews and a Larabar or a Nogii paleo bar. Both are not ideal but are technically conforming to the whole 30.

What carbs do you eat in the morning?
None, I normally eat right after working out so protein is more of a priority for me at breakfast. I do add some extra coconut oil to the eggs for energy.

Remember you should be getting your energy from healthy fats. Your carbs should be coming for vegetables. I'll load up on those at lunch and dinner.

Back