The Whisky Thread

Supply and demand. It's really took off in emerging markets like China and Brazil as well going through a renaissance in more established markets. Capacity has actually increased massively in recent years but by it's very nature it takes years to catch up.

There a lot of money in Whisky. It's a huge money spinner for Scotland.
We're experiencing the same thing over here, but maybe to a lesser degree. Prices have moved up a little, especially on the higher end American whiskeys. Domestic demand has been spiraling upward, but I don't think we have nearly the international demand for most brands that you guys are experiencing. OTOH when demand for Jack Daniels and Jim Beam climb, they just reduce quality to keep up with demand. :embarrassed:

Ohhhh....Lagavulin.
Haven't had any of that in ages. Pure smoke, that one, mate.
That's one you can literally feel coursing through your veins after you take a sip.

Very distinctive, extremely strong, very potent and not cheap, either. Unforgettable. Lagavulin is an experience.

Had some about a week ago again. I've never bought but my friend often has it and it is wonderful. I got a Macallan 15 once too for a good price that was great but generally they are out of my price range. Surprising I got a Speyside cherry finish 18yo single malt from Costco (costco labelled) that is quite good though not as peaty and smoky as I generally like (but it is a Speyside so ...). It was like $35 which I couldnt believe when I saw it so I had to buy to try it. I'll get it again

Had some about a week ago again. I've never bought but my friend often has it and it is wonderful. I got a Macallan 15 once too for a good price that was great but generally they are out of my price range. Surprising I got a Speyside cherry finish 18yo single malt from Costco (costco labelled) that is quite good though not as peaty and smoky as I generally like (but it is a Speyside so ...). It was like $35 which I couldnt believe when I saw it so I had to buy to try it. I'll get it again

There is rumor out there that the Costco brand name Scotch is actually Macallan 2nds.....don't know if that is true or not......but I believe you when you say it was good.

http://scotchnoob.com/2013/10/21/kirkland-speyside-sherry-cask-finish-18-year/

I heard that as well...or at least it's made at the same distillery. I'm not sure it's still $35 since I don't drink it that often so a bottle tends to last a while...unless my brother comes to visit :grin:

A lot of the distilleries are putting up bigger warehouses and adding more stills as they can't keep up with demand. Glengoyne, a real nice wee distillery just north of glasgow has increased its capacity five fold over the last ten years for example and they are just owned by Ian Macleod distillers, not one of the big bastards like diageo

I'm on the beer tonight though :embarrassed:

Try some The Macallan M for only $3000 a bottle, or Highland Park Linn 40 Year Old Single Malt for $40,000. :i:
http://www.drinkspirits.com/best/3000-spirits-budget-isnt-option/

640x459xmacallanm.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Bbo81daMbH.jpg

640x530xhighlandparklinn.jpg.pagespeed.ic.z5m1avvCHR.jpg

Holy shit. :embarrassed:
Supply and demand. It's really took off in emerging markets like China and Brazil as well going through a renaissance in more established markets. Capacity has actually increased massively in recent years but by it's very nature it takes years to catch up.

There a lot of money in Whisky. It's a huge money spinner for Scotland.

Well, Scotland has to make some money on something.

Glad to help out. :embarrassed:

picked up some Jameson's Caskmates Stout irish whisky today.
mmmm, pretty tastey. i thought because of the "stout", it was going to be bitter like stout beer is.
nope, not bitter at all.

Sunday, I had some Woodford Reserve.
woodford.jpeg

It is much ballyhooed as a primo bourbon. I can see why - it is very good but many wouldn't prefer it
because it is very robust. None of the flavours are hoping to win you over in a subtle manner. The
flavours are all very up front and right up front.

I still like Maker's Mark better but it's nice to try different ones from time to time.

i like various whiskeys, but i also like sippin' good RUM.
so i picked up some Cruzan Black Strap.....and mmmmmmmm !!!

cruzan-black-strap-rum.webp

I can taste that deep darkness from here. I recommend Papa's Pilar Spanish Sherry Casks dark 24 rum (right). I haven't tried their other dark 24 rum (left) yet.

trifecta.png

Last month, I ran across a bottle of Buffalo Trace, so bought it. I haven't had any in about 8+ years, as it is getting hard to find here, plus it never really tasted that good to me. Well, my tastes haven't changed, even after sampling dozens of bourbons and ryes. I guess I'll save it for mixing. :shrug:

Last month, I ran across a bottle of Buffalo Trace, so bought it. I haven't had any in about 8+ years, as it is getting hard to find here, plus it never really tasted that good to me. Well, my tastes haven't changed, even after sampling dozens of bourbons and ryes. I guess I'll save it for mixing. :shrug:
that's too bad. i like it, as bourbons go, better than most. but i don't drink it very often. we also hardly see it around here.
however, if i were to get a REAL hankering for it (and was out), i could drive the 10+ miles north across the michigan state line and get it there a lot easier.
the scarcity of in ohio is an ohio LCB allotment problem. they're idiots and they're in Columbus, so Columbus gets everything FIRST.

Reactions: Tig

I think that I will take your review to heart. It's a big thing up here I guess and I saw it last night but I just can't see me liking it better than Maker's Mark for a smooth light one or Woodford Reserve for a deep bold one.

So...I'll stick to the devils that I know and love.

Reactions: Tig
I think that I will take your review to heart. It's a big thing up here I guess and I saw it last night but I just can't see me liking it better than Maker's Mark for a smooth light one or Woodford Reserve for a deep bold one.

So...I'll stick to the devils that I know and love.
I still haven't tried Woodford Reserve. I didn't love Maker's Mark, but it sure wasn't bad.

My favorite bourbons in the affordable level are Blanton's Small Batch and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Back