The Whiskey Thread

Double post because why not.

I'm about to leave to go drunk camping for the weekend. I haven't drank since New Years, and a few beers during the superbowl. So it should be interesting/fun.

It was hard to find, but I got me a bottle of Clontarf 1014.

Supposed to be decent for cheap whiskey, but I mainly got it because of the name and story :embarrassed: :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Clontarf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clontarf_(whiskey)

d412333a3f34555da9c3940df6d02123.jpg

Have a good one!

I haven't treated myself to a bottle of whisky in quite a while. Maybe this weekend...and my weekend starts tonight!

I need a job...
MAILINGS:3920_1.jpg

That's pretty neat. I have had a few private select bottles, including this Spec's one. There is much better bourbon out there for the money, but it's interesting to see how they can shape the flavor by finishing with varying combinations of staves.

Reactions: Tig
That's pretty neat. I have had a few private select bottles, including this Spec's one. There is much better bourbon out there for the money, but it's interesting to see how they can shape the flavor by finishing with varying combinations of staves.

Tell me more about that Whitmeyer's bourbon you posted on IG.
I've been dabbling with a few Texas whiskeys lately.

Tell me more about that Whitmeyer's bourbon you posted on IG.
I've been dabbling with a few Texas whiskeys lately.
I've only recently tried their stuff for the first time. They have been around for about 5 years and are in way northwest Houston outside the beltway. They sell single barrels of stuff distilled and partially aged in KY and then aged longer in TX. Its $50 at Specs and is more or less worth that. Maybe a little less. I give them extra points for being local and boutique.

Then they also distill their own vodka, gin, "moonshine", and bourbon which I believe are available only at the distillery. None of their own stuff gets aged longer than 2 years, and they use 30gal barrels. It tastes like it's aged a lot longer. I like it better than Garrison Bros. The picture I took was of their most recently bottled single barrel of their own distillate. It's great and only 19 months old!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I survived. The Clontarf was pretty mediocre, would not buy again, but it did get better the more I drank :thu:

Well, it's official. Michters small batch is my new favorite. And of course it's expensive. At least for a regular.
I still love the Trace, but damn this is good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On my vacation, I tried two new rye whiskeys at our hotel in Boston. The first was Angel's Envy. It smelled absolutely wonderful--oak and caramel and nutmeg, practically like eggnog by a roaring fire. All those notes were there in the flavor as well; however, there was an overbearing pepperiness that squashed the other flavors.
The next was Whistlepig Farmstock. Based on my experience with Whistlepig 10 Year, I was very excited to try this. Man, was I disappointed! Boring and too boozy tasting. I was happy to have a glass of Michter's when I got back home.

On my vacation, I tried two new rye whiskeys at our hotel in Boston. The first was Angel's Envy. It smelled absolutely wonderful--oak and caramel and nutmeg, practically like eggnog by a roaring fire. All those notes were there in the flavor as well; however, there was an overbearing pepperiness that squashed the other flavors.
The next was Whistlepig Farmstock. Based on my experience with Whistlepig 10 Year, I was very excited to try this. Man, was I disappointed! Boring and too boozy tasting. I was happy to have a glass of Michter's when I got back home.
Yeah, Farmstock sucks donkey dick. I liked Whistlepig when I first discovered them, but they are losing my favor. They mostly sell stuff made by other people, but their own is garbage and the stuff they repackage is getting more and more expensive. Their latest special release is $500!

The Angels Envy rye is tasty, but I found out not long ago that they add flavor packets to get that unique profile you described.

Yeah, Farmstock sucks donkey dick. I liked Whistlepig when I first discovered them, but they are losing my favor. They mostly sell stuff made by other people, but their own is garbage and the stuff they repackage is getting more and more expensive. Their latest special release is $500!

The Angels Envy rye is tasty, but I found out not long ago that they add flavor packets to get that unique profile you described.
Really?!?! That's some duplicitous shit right there.
I'll stick with my Michter's

#dadlife means Costco, and Costco outside of NY means private label alcohol. The Costco bourbon is pretty good, as you would expect. The internets tell me it's made by Buffalo Trace to taste like almost Knob Creek. I can agree with that assessment.

#dadlife means Costco, and Costco outside of NY means private label alcohol. The Costco bourbon is pretty good, as you would expect. The internets tell me it's made by Buffalo Trace to taste like almost Knob Creek. I can agree with that assessment.

How much does that go for?
It's pretty hard to beat EW bonded for value in my book.

Back