The truth about modern country music. . .

Bo Burnham is incredibly talented - he has a couple of specials on Netflix. He is classed as a comedian and I don't argue that because he is very amusing but I found that I only actually laugh a few times over the course of one of his specials but his intellect and clever takes on things & his raw talent keeps me glued.

US and A has a stranglehold on world popular culture and we[1] still largely refuse to listen to country.

[1] I am actually official spokesman for the world it is a great honour!

Yeah.....that is dead on. More than just modern country music though, but that is just the most obvious target. Just about every performer on a major label in most every genre. It's all about marketing and profit. Not much art involved. You have to go to the indy labels to that.

The really sad thing is I know a LOT of people (TBH - mostly ladies) that flock to hear that uninspired shit spew from the mouths of 'cowboys' in tight jeans every time they tour through Denver.

Yeah.....that is dead on. More than just modern country music though, but that is just the most obvious target. Just about every performer on a major label in most every genre. It's all about marketing and profit. Not much art involved. You have to go to the indy labels to that.

The really sad thing is I know a LOT of people (TBH - mostly ladies) that flock to hear that uninspired shit spew from the mouths of 'cowboys' in tight jeans every time they tour through Denver.

I really hate that shit...
And recently I've found myself working on a country/rock album - with actual good lyrics and none of the formulaic bullshit Nashville is riddled with at the minute.
The goal has been to make good music. Imagine that. :)

The problem with all successful music is that everyone wants to copy it and it then becomes a formula. Then it gets beaten to death.

That guy nailed it. Everything I hate about breaux country.

Grew up in a small town, check.
Ridin in my pickup with the radio cranked, check.
Girl lookin soo good in her cutoffs, check.
...the list goes on.
Pretty soon we have an old car with a hemi and a disfavored flag painted on top. but then, they are :
Just the good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm

I play in a modern country band, I dig it. It's today's pop music. Some of it's easy, some isn't. Having played blues and rock for so many years, it's fun to branch out and try something new. I dig jazz too, even work away at Jazz on my own, but that's just for my satisfaction. I play in a blues band that ventures into funk as well.

It's fun to play... pretty much anything. It's even more fun when you have an audience that digs it.

Anyway, it's easy to dump on something. Why not just let it be? Did modern country hurt you in the feels or something?

inside-outside-fireplace.jpg

1960-vacation-house.jpg

I really dislike modern country's production values; since one of my great indulgences is ludicrous hyperbole when it comes to musical judgements, I do so. Did it hurt me? Only when I have to hear it -- that stuff is painful.

I don't single it out, though. R&B and Taylor Swiftian pop are equally as horrendous.

Specifically, it's the lack of any sense of organic performance that I find off putting; it has the effect on me of seeming obvious, unintelligent, imitative, and unemotional. When music lacks emotional depth, I think it's 'bad.'

Back