The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

Thanks guys! It's not perfect if you get up close, but I'd rather it be less than perfect and done by me, than perfect and just dropped off at a shop. lol.

Thanks! It's got quite a bit of orange peel, because of my cheap ass paint gun. But I'm not really worried about it, I think it looks pretty cool.

Nice work. It looks great.

Perfect paint is almost impossible to shoot. The pros make it seem possible with their fix-up tricks.
Those tricks are a whole other set of skills.

Looks great, Phil. Keep it up, and drivers are going to be trying to pull you over to make an offer.

When it comes to laying paint, it does take good equipment and lots of practice, hopefully on beaters or old file cabinets. That's how I started. Flat surfaces are tough, curves like old VW Beetles were easy. Whites and light tans and yellows were easier than blacks and dark blues. And paint guys all have their favorite brand. You're either a Ditzler guy or an R-M guy, or a Martin Seynour guy, etc. You get used to using that brand, mix it the same way every time, same methods, and you can lay it just as good. Just don't get stoned right before you step into the booth. :embarrassed:

Reactions: Tig
Thanks everybody! It keeps rolling along. Plans still include a rear locker (at least, maybe front too) winch and winch mount front bumper, sliders for the rocker panels, well, a whole list of stuff actually. I'll keep picking away at it. lol.

I didn't put a whole ton of effort in filling every little dent, so yeah, they show up in the blue pretty glaringly. But I just really wanted to get the oxidized stuff off. Its still going to be an off roader, not a mall queen.

Looks great. Are you going to do white on the bottom section, or is that going to be Rhino lined or something like that?

That is killer! That is the same winch mount I want to get, the DIY4X A-Bomb. It's just the center section, I'll have to build the bumper around it.

I REALLY want to do a Dana 60/14 bolt ff swap, but it will be down the road. the 14 bolt rears are easy to find, the Dana 60 front not so much. Cheapest i have found on craigslist around here was $1400.

Oh, and yeah, and LS 6 liter swap would be pretty nice too. I'd have to get a pretty big windfall to even start dreaming about that. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Looks great. Are you going to do white on the bottom section, or is that going to be Rhino lined or something like that?

It will be white. I just ordered my rock sliders, i'll paint them white too.

Usually there is a black molding that separates the blue and white, I have an idea to mask it off and make a stripe out of roll on bedliner. Like a molding, only better (i think).

I'm going to do the inside of my tailgate with bedliner as well.

Back